Pet Detective

• I'm lost for words Elaine, my heart is heavy at this time...All the humiliation that was posted on this thread has pained me deeply...

Hugs to all,

Sheila

Peace,Light and love to everyone and their most cherished Pets

• Elaine i am so sorry for you and sparky my thoughts and prayers are with you Tooter

• Elaine. terribly sorry for your loss, at least you know you tried and he is free of pain now he will thank you for that.

Love Bee X

• Unfortunately that is what I feared.

• If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

Days of laughter, nights of tears,

you wouldn't want me to suffer so

When the time has come, please let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown

• This post is deleted!

• And I can only say that I tried to tell you your cat was suffering but you were more concerned with your own pain. I can only hope that other pet owners heed the warning not to put undue stress and pressure on their animals to give them what they are not meant to give or fill roles they are not meant to fill. I implore everyone to put their own needs aside to try and tune into your animal's needs and health.

• Message to all: Psychic ability is all about becoming more sensitive to what is going on around you. If there are things you do not want to see, then you will never be able to open yourself up enough to sense the unseen or receive messages from spirit.

• We shouldn't be ashamed of hurting our pets or people through ignorance but we must learn the lesson - I myself found out I 'killed' some of my older cats by feeding them too much dry food that worsened their kidney and bladder comditions. Now I know better. Instead of drowning in guilt or blame, I have vowed to learn the lesson and move on. I know my cats knew that I thought I was doing what was best for them.

• No human should take on the care of an animal unless they are prepared to try and understand them and their needs. Unless we realise that their simpler form of understanding cannot cope with the complexities of our human natures, we will continue to inflict undue pressure on them to support us and carry our pain. We must learn from our mistakes and try to teach others from our lessons that we cannot continue to believe that animals think or react in human ways or need human-type conditions to live under.

• Tenchi,

Loved the poem, had to post it on the greyhound board.

So many have had cancer lately and so many have had to put their babies down. It kills me, I know one day my time will come to say goodbye to my best buddy in the whole world and I just dread it!

My Roo is something else, he is indeed however my very best friend and really hope and pray he stays with me for a very long time to come! I know he knows exactly what I am saying to him and he in the last 3 years has always picked up on any of my feelings. It is crazy, I have never had an animal do this with me and I love it! I do have a knack with animals and feel I know their thoughts but his reactions to me are sometimes just insane...in the right way!!

• Is no one listening? I beg you not to make your pets (or your children for that matter) your best friends - they don't have the necessary emotional maturity or complexity to cope - that is too much pressure for them to bear and the stress makes them ill. Make a human being your best friend - don't expect your animal companions to fill that role. The animals (and children) sense how much you need support and comfort but they are not emotionally or intellectually equipped to solve your loneliness or pain.

• I'm glad the poem has and will continue to be used to help owners struggling with this sensitive issue. So far, I've never had to put a pet down. I couldn't find the words to adequately express my condolences. When I started looking for a nice poem, this one instantly jumped out at me.

I hope all runs smoothly and peacefully for you, notshy2bme.

It is strange how some animals are very attuned to our emotions and thoughts. I've met a few where I thought they must have been humans in a previous life. Unfortunately none of my dogs have been that way although my current dog likes to intrude on my thoughts every now and then. She gives me the strangest, knowing look and I almost feel ashamed at times.

• This post is deleted!

• dmick,

My feelings are this........

he did find a new home but it did not last long because he was already on his way to heaven when they found him.

He's ok! But he knew you guys wondered that is the reason for the odd dream! Hey I am here, but I gotta go, just wanted to tell ya I'm going to a new place called heaven!

God bless.

• This post is deleted!

• Sorry Dmick59, I missed your post. I feel that Stewart was run over but that it was very quick and he didn't have time to suffer.

• This post is deleted!

• Trying to figure out what may be going on with my greyhound Lilley.

She adopted us back in January and she is 6 years old. She was born to be a brood and whenever that didn't work out she went to the retirement facility to be adopted out. Her first adoption led to her being to being abused and from what I can tell they used a crate to keep her penned up. She was later returned saying that she was scaring the old peoples birds.

Whenever we first seen Lilley at the retirement home she would circle around and not go into her crate. People just thought she didn't want to go in her crate, but after taking her home I realized there was something more to the picture. I worked with her a lot with the crate and eventually was able to teach her that it was ok to go into. After that she spent a lot of time lounging in her crate, belly up or roaching as it is called. Roaching is a happy pose.

About a month ago we moved and two weeks into the move I realized there was not enough room in the house so we took down the crates and stored them giving her and Roo my other greyhound free roam of the house while we were gone.

Now the part I am trying to figure out is this:

3 days ago she started acting very oddly. Not wanting to come out of our room and not laying on the couch which was her favorite spot since we moved here. I was home for knee surgery and every day for a week she'd lay next to me on the couch. Now she just shakes a lot for some unknown reason...she was always quick to scare......but nothing like this. She also doesn't seem to be eating. I don't know what to do. I am very concerned about her however.

The only thing I can pick up on with her....once again like my own self its hard for me to sometimes read my animals......is that since I finally got her used to the idea that the crate was ok and then took it away along the same time as me going back to work it was too much for her to understand. I think she doesn't understand why I am leaving and why she has free roam. I am thinking maybe for her I'm gone and her crate is gone and she doesn't feel secure. Am I am right to say this or did the little one get into something outside that she shouldn't have? What bothers me is even if we are home she goes into our floor and lays down or in my sons room on his bed and just lays there. She just shakes, is not sociable unless you go to her and doesn't eat.

What am I missing? Any clue? Please help me! :~(

• You are quite correct. Lilley is a dog who has been taught since she was young that her life consists of a space only as big as a crate. At first she hated the confinement but after being abused and then coached to love the crate, she gets very scared when her 'limits of life' are expanded all at once, especially when the humans she has come to trust are not there to protect her. It's the same thing as with humans who get out of jail after many years of confinement. The world is big and scary to them and many re-offend so that they can go back to the institution that has looked after them and their needs for so long.

The crate came to be Lilley's protection and being removed from it gave her extreme terror. She needs to be acclimatised gradually to having more space so that she learns that more space does not mean less protection. Put her back in her crate and gradually increase the size of her home until she is not so absolutely terrified of open spaces.