The Positivity Challenge

• SandPiper: I've lost my original post on here, but yes, what the bleep does remind me how to rearrange negative into positive.

Anyway, an update here. I got my first call for a job interview this morning! Power to the positive!

xoxo

smiling big!

• Positive and negative thinking are both contagious.

All of us affect, in one way or another, the people we meet. This happens instinctively and on a subconscious level, through thoughts and feelings transference, and through body language. People sense our aura and are affected by our thoughts, and vice versa. Is it any wonder that we want to be around positive people and avoid negative ones? People are more disposed to help us if we are positive, and they dislike and avoid anyone broadcasting negativity.

Negative thoughts, words and attitude bring up negative and unhappy moods and actions. When the mind is negative, poisons are released into the blood, which cause more unhappiness and negativity. This is the way to failure, frustration and disappointment.

• bump

• Nice one, AliceQ - the power of positive thinking indeed!

• Story on the 'Power of Optimism' by John Bal a counsellor from the narrativetherapy website -

"I almost fell off my chair when my patient Hazel sat down and announced she had only lost her temper twice in the last fortnight. From where I sat this was an extraordinary change from the days when Hazel was experiencing major explosions on a daily basis. Hazel had a long history of a fiery temper that kept getting her into trouble and driving everyone away from her, and this was the reason she had sought counselling. She had struggled for a long time to try and curb her temper but it just kept getting the better of her and her good judgement, and kept upsetting her, and everyone around her.

So when Hazel announced only two small incidents in the last fortnight I wanted to know how she had done it, what had made it possible for her to bring about such a large change in behaviour? How did she feel about the progress she was making? However Hazel only wanted to talk about the two days where she had “failed” and lost her temper, rather than the twelve days where she had managed to keep her cool.

This was very characteristic of Hazel, throughout all our work together, she seemed unable to see her achievements and was drawn to forever notice her shortcomings. Each time we met, Hazel would tell me about how badly she she was going because she was still experiencing temper outbursts, and therefore how bad she was as a person. Even if I drew her attention to the degree of success over temper outbursts, and how much progress seemed to be happening, Hazel would immediately return to how much work there was still to be done, and see the negative side of the story.

Hazel was not wrong for focussing on the two days where she had lost her temper, but she was inadvertently working against herself and making it harder to progress in life. Focusing selectively on the challenges we still face while ignoring the progress and gains we have made, makes the journey through life more difficult.

This aspect of Hazel, where the focus on the negative nearly blinded her to a view of the positive, was having profound impact on her life. When Hazel chose to focus on the two days she considered “failures”, she felt a little bit worse, a little bit more negative, and little more despondent. It left her with a sense of climbing uphill, or fighting against strong habits of the past and would rob her of some of the energy needed to gain control over the temper outbursts. Remembering the “failures” was keeping her mired in the past and making the task of overcoming the problem harder.

By contrast, when Hazel chose to focus on the twelve days she kept her cool, she ended up feeling just a little bit more positive about herself and her potential to overcome this problem. Her attention was drawn to how far she’d come and the skills she has used to achieve this task. This provided her with a bit more of an incentive to press on, a bit more energy for the next situation where her temper control was tested. When an aggravating situation arose, Hazel could remember her successes, and that the history of bad temper was being rewritten. She could believe that it was possible to take control because she had been doing it.

If you keep focusing on what you don’t do well in life to the exclusion of what you do well, this is not a recipe for happiness. While I am not suggesting people ignore so called shortcomings, I would warn against a narrow focus on the struggles. Don’t get blinded by the challenges still to be faced, always keep an eye on how far you’ve come."

• Just one week.

Let's do this!!

I'm starting now. Midnight of tuesday!

• Good for you, HD. Let us know how you go.

• Me too 🙂 I start today as well 🙂 Thanks TheCaptain!!

• Any day is a good day to start being positive. 🙂

• I actually started doing this a while ago, I have noticed the changes in my life. The significant changes in my life. I firmly believe in the power of being positive and have become very rooted in the belief that positive brings positive and negative brings negative. I was one of those people who always focused on my failings and not my achievements and never forgave myself for not being perfect, even though I knew it was impossible to be perfect. So...the difference? I know that if I am positive, then things will continue to be positive. As soon as I focus on the negative? The whole day goes to garbage. I was in AA for years and one of that things that I remember being very helpful to me was the fact that "you can restart your day at any time." You have the choice to be happy. You can accept the challenges in life and change how you deal with them. If you constantly focus on what you don't have, you will always have nothing. If you focus on what you have it will bring you more. This is a great challenge and one that I think is really inspiring. I look forward to seeing everyone's results. I know that mine have been incredible. I hope that you all have the same results!

• This is one of my favourite quotes -

"Most of us seem to assume that in order to grow spiritually, we must face some ugly truths about ourselves and our selfish egos. What if we've got it backward? What if, instead of chipping away at all our faults and whipping ourselves into spiritual shape, we just need to recognize and uncover the beauty, wisdom and goodness innate to all our souls?"

• Julia Melges-Brenner, editor of Kajama

• I'm in! I could use all the positive reinforcement I can get!! 🙂

• Wonderful quote Captain. By recognizing our beauty, wisdom and goodness we find spiritual blessings and the negative truths about ourselves and our selfish egos fade away on their own as we embrace who we all truly are. I'd much rather view it this way than the reverse.

• Thanks Captain, I will begin today. I have been told by someone to begin my day with an inspirational quote and I shall visit this thread every morning to remind me of all the good that is to come rather that what has been and embracing the positives in life.

Dx

• This post is deleted!

• Captain,

This is a great idea. I'm in.

Luvslife.

• Passionately INHALE life and EXHALE gratefulness!

• GemTwin "Positive and negative thinking are both contagious."

Yes! I agree. And all it takes is a smile.

• Mornin' everyone! First of all, to Zephire, great Swedish proverb, know I needed to hear just that this morning.

Well, I began PC on Monday, and brought in my sister and (tried) to open my college-age son up to the Challenge. Yesterday was a tough day for both husband and son (final exams!)....both tense & grumpy. Was chatting with Sis about them, and she said, "Well I guess your Positivity Challenge has had a few challenges thrown your way!" (or something to that effect). She was right! I was being tested to see if I could "spread the love", so to speak.

I just find it interesting that, while accepting that positive energy draws positive energy, I encountered 2 who needed some positive vibes of their own. Well, thats my story. I was just chuckling over it this morning & thought I'd share.

Blessings to all on this beautiful (if cold & rainy CT) day. Peace.

aquajj

• For the husband and son with final exams. Try an expierment. It worked here. Go to youtube and look up The Carol Burnett show. Find the elephant story and get them to watch it. Or something else funny that you can think of. Its easier to think positive when you've been laughing your butt off.

it works, if I find myself stuck in a negative rut, I find something that makes me laugh.