The Positivity Challenge

• I know things are pretty tough for everyone right now - which is why I would like to suggest you all join me in taking the Positivity Challenge from positivityblog.

For 7 days you try to only think positive thoughts. Whatever happens to you, you will see the good side of it and what positive things you can learn and take away from it. What I am suggesting here is not a mindless kind of positive thinking where you pretend everything is OK whilst your house is actually on fire. Instead it’s you noticing a situation or stimuli and then choosing a positive and useful response to it instead of reacting in a knee-jerk way.

It’s you focusing on what could be a more positive and useful solution for you. Or even better, what could be a win-win situation if the situation involves other people (which many important situations in our lives do). A win-win solution is more often an even more satisfying and beneficial solution than the one where only you win.

By the end of the week you will have started to discover the very real benefits of positive thinking, how much negative thoughts there are both in you and the world (you might be surprised) and begun establishing a new habit to replace your old, less constructive one. And then you can continue from there.

Now, how to go about it? Here are some tips:

Realise that it is possible to choose what you think about and how you react. You don’t have to live your life in reaction. Being reactive to everything is not very empowering. You have a choice. Cut any negative thoughts off quickly. Think about what positive things you can get out of this situation. Don’t feed the negative thoughts with more energy or you might trap your mind in a downward spiral.

Act happy. Smile. Move slower to relax. Use positive language. Act as if you are a positive person and you will start to feel and become more positive. It might feel weird at first, but it really works.

Limit your time with really negative people – some people feed on negative energy and whatever you try, it never pleases them or changes their sour minds and moods. If nothing you do works then finally you might have to cut them out of your life or at least limit your time with them. Find positive people in your surroundings or anywhere in time and space (through documentaries, biographies etc.) and learn from them. Find out how they handle everyday life, problems, setbacks and compare it to your own thoughts and how you would handle similar situations.

Focus on the now and future, not the past. Many people spend a lot of time thinking about all the mistakes they made in the past. A better way is to think about a mistake you made and what you learned from it. Then stop wasting your time and shift your focus to the present and the future where you can actually make a change.

Redefine “failure”. You don’t have to learn much about successful people to realize that one of their key-strengths is that their way of looking at failure is widely different from the more common one in society. As basketballer Michael Jordan said: “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

Also, thinking one example represents the whole world might not be the most helpful belief to hold. Yes, someone may have cheated on you, treated you badly at work, and your first business venture may have gone up in flames. But applying one or two bad examples to the whole world and the rest of your life will cause suffering for you long after those hurtful events happened. And could set you up for even more pain and disappointment through self-fulfilling prophecies and the Law of Attraction.

So now will you sign up to the Positivity Challenge for just one week? Can you put aside your anxiety over your life and just be happy and carefree and have fun for seven measly days? Post your progress and insights here. If you are having trouble putting negative thoughts aside, put them here - then forget about them. Tell us what changes or revelations happened to you when the week is over.

C'mon, it's only seven days of being happy and forgetting about your worries. Wouldn't you like a week off from your problems for once? Transform your thinking for a week and who knows - it might become permanent.

Now who will join me?

• Captain,

I'm in! This is something I already try to practice but I will put a heightened sense of awareness and focus on it. This coming week will actually be a perfect time for personal reasons! Thanks for the new thread and sharing your positive vibes!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• I'm IN. I posted this last week - it's mostly about how to deal with negative emotion.

This is about choice and how we choose to allow the world and others to affect us. To live positive lives we need to think about the following:

The good opinion of other people:

People’s opinion is actually just that, their opinion, we can take from it what we want and extract from it the good and let the rest go.

Often they mean well, which is beside the point. What you choose to accept, will influence your life.

You are what you consume:

You have to ask yourself : Do you consume a lot of negativity and insults? If you do, you will obviously be affected by this. It’s the same in what we eat and drink, what we listen to and what we watch.

If the stimuli are negative. If you drink too much alcohol, soon you’ll be drunk. IF you listen to too many negative things, soon you’ll be miserable and negative.

Let the change start with you:

By now you know that in order to receive less negativity in your life, you need to be less negative. If you want to see better and more lovable people in the world, you have to be more lovable and a better person. .

So give the gift of love, respect, positivity and a better life and refuse to accept the “gifts” of insults and negativity.

• This post is deleted!

• Captain,

I'm in. What a great service you do for all. Fabulous advice.

• i am also going to t

• as a matter of fact i am going to start right this moment,

i do want to change alot of negative factors and my surroundings,

into positive.

starting with myself, who does become quite negative at times.

once again, thank you captain for the insight! and movitation!

blessings for you,

ramonita

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This is totally cool! I was just thinking this morning that I could have handled a situation better, over the weekend. Altho I do try to react positively to people, theres just a little bit of me that just wants to react, react, react,(and not always in a positive way!). So, this is just what I need.

I'm sharing this with my son and my sister, to see if we can get some good energy going in our family circle. This is a great challenge for the week, and I thank you, The Captain!

Sending positive thoughts & blessings to everyone today. Peace.

aquajj

• Timely is an understatement! Thoughts have real power. The most insidious ones touch on our fears. And since this world is in such need of healing, our collective positive thoughts could literally change our world. The surest way for evil (negative energy) to overtake this world is if it snuffs out our light. Thank you, Captain...

• Aquajj, it's a good idea to have friends or family do this with you - they might spot when you're being negative that you yourself missed.

It's really all about becoming more aware of your thoughts - you may be having all sorts of negative thoughts that you don't realise. When you take control of your thinking, you take control of your life and what comes into it.

Just reading all your enthusiastic posts boosts my positivity. Keep sending the inspirational messages - let's make this the most beautiful and uplifting of threads EVER!!! Wheeeeeeee....

P:)SITIVITY - pass it on!

• Writer John Bal says "I often hear people say something along the lines of 'I know I’ll be happy when….', or 'I’ll feel happy if…'

It may be that they think happiness will improve when they are earning more, or when they’ve achieved a certain level of success in their career, or when their health improves, or when they lose weight, or when they find a partner, or a myriad of other future conditions. What these people probably don’t realise is that they are not just making statements about what they imagine would make them happier in the future, they are actually also stating the reasons for not being happy right now. By locating happiness as something that maybe waiting for them in the future they may be inadvertently delaying or deferring possible happiness in the present moment.

These people may be falling into the trap of believing that happiness is only possible when certain conditions or circumstances are met; that we can only be happy under ideal circumstances. Now I wouldn’t suggest that there is no connection between the circumstances of our life and happiness, (for instance people living in abject poverty) however I do believe it is possible to be happy/happier right now with whatever circumstances we currently face. I also believe it may be a mistake to defer ‘here and now’ happiness in the belief that it will come to us in the future, or that it is only possible when something in our life changes.

There is always the possibility of greater happiness in the future, but why accept that you can’t also be happy in the here and now?

Happiness is available to all of us now, no matter what the circumstances of our lives."

We have so much more power over our lives than we think. We have the power to choose how we FEEL and BEHAVE. And this influences our lives in incredible ways. There is not one situation that worry or negativity makes any better so you might as well be positive. Trust that you will be taken care of - and you will be. Let go and let the Universe in to guide and nurture you.

• I first saw 'what the bleep do we know' about 8 years ago. It changed my life. Nothing has been the same since. Required viewing-yes. "We are what we think" is echoed in many places, and after my 8 year 'experiment', I can tell you it works. I look back on my life, and around at the lives of those around me now, and see it. How negative thinking can have a realistic impact on your possibilities. How it boxes you in, so that you don't even consider some solutions as viable, and miss out on opportunities. There is a realistic application for this. But I will caution you, think very hard about what you're wanting, what you're trying to change. It can send you places you never thought you could be.

• captain!

today i started the day by giving thanks for all the wonderful things in my life!

also giving thanks for the hard lessons in life, for the first day in a long time,

i felt stronger!

everytime, i thought of something that upsets me, i ask the universe to erase that thought!

i notice that i feel much lighter in my spirit!

i truly am grateful for your presence in this thread, that with your knowlegde you are helping so many thru the light!

may the universe continue blessing you, in every way posible!

ramonita!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!