New Moon and Mercury Retrograding

• Hi all ,

I am starting this thread in order for all of us here to share our experiences with each other during this New Moon and when / during Mercury retrogrades.

Anything weird happening in your life at this moment?

How does this effect you personally?

Whatever that you think is related to this event is always welcome. If you have more information about it, that would be great too! Please share!

Here are some basic explanation for those who has no idea on what I am talking about;

New Moon began on yesterday, April 14th. If you need an infusion of energy to jumpstart your life, this New Moon in Aries can help you launch a new path. Fire-sign Aries is the pioneer of the zodiac, so between now and the end of April is a great time to explore new activities and meet new people.

Mercury retrogrades on the 18th (if I am not mistaken). We are at the retrograding process now, which can also effect some. Mercury will retrogrades to Taurus till May 11th.

For those who needs to know what it does;

The planet Mercury rules thinking and perception and all types of communication. When Mercury goes retrograde it gives rise to personal misunderstandings. There would be delays, flaws and hitches in all communication related areas like transportation,trade,etc. Astrologers advise not to make any important decisions while Mercury is retrograde, since it is likely that such decisions will be marred by misinformation, poor communication and careless thinking.

A planet is described as retrograde when it appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac. According to modern science, this traditional concept arises in the illusory planetary motion created by the orbital rotation of the earth with relation to other planets in our solar system. It's a bit like travelling on the road watching another car beside you: when the other car slows down, or you speed up, it looks as though the other car is moving backwards. Planets are never actually retrograde or stationary, they just seem that way due to this cosmic shadow-play.

Retrograde periods, although often problematic for us earthlings, are not particularly uncommon. Each planet retrogrades, except the Sun and Moon. Although a powerful astrological influence, Mercury is quite a small planet that travels at a relatively fast speed through the zodiac. Despite being the closest planet in our solar system to the Sun, Mercury is not always in the same sign as the Sun. Mercury turns retrograde this time in Taurus while the Sun is in Aries, but the Sun moves into Taurus on Apr. 20 (with Mercury still in Taurus); however, the Sun enters Gemini on May 21, whilst Mercury, having turned direct, is still gathering speed in Taurus and does not reach his home in Gemini until June 10.

Fated Events

As a rule, retrograde planets mark a period of seemingly inevitable or fated events that relate to their sphere of influence. Unresolved issues from the past tend to rear their heads. Retro phases present us with a series of events over which we seem to have little or no conscious control, relating especially to the sign in which the retrogradation occurs. For example, Mercury retrograde in Libra (relationships; tastes; harmony) awakened quite different sets of circumstances from those generated when he retrograded into Virgo (analysis; critical ability).

A retrograde period is best seen as a cycle, beginning when a planet begins to slow to a halt before travelling backwards through the zodiac, and ending when it returns to the point where it first paused. However, during the cycle, a planet's energy is most powerful (and more likely to generate critical events of universal importance) when the planet makes a station: appearing motionless in the sky.

These stationary periods occur near the beginning of the cycle (when the planet first halts as it prepares to move backwards) and midway through the cycle when the retrograde planet slows to a stop before moving forward again. The direct station (when the planet halts before moving forward again) is the most powerful and can be used for maximum benefit.

Mercury Shadow Phases

Many astrologers consider that the "Mercury Shadow" begins between two and three weeks before the actual retro station; so the "shadow phase" begins on April 4, when Mercury passes the point of direct station for the first time in this cycle. This view has some justification, but I am more inclined to think that the really noticeable peculiarities begin when Mercury slows significantly, a few days before the retro station.

This period of "Mercury Shadow" extends to the Return date, something under three weeks after the direct station. Bear this in mind, because experience shows that the effects of the retro period are still marked during the shadow phase. Some of the most characteristic annoyances often occur just after Mercury makes the direct station, while he is crawling forward before picking up speed.

What does Mercury affect?

In general, Mercury rules thinking and perception, processing and disseminating information and all means of communication, commerce, education and transportation. By extension, Mercury rules people who work in these areas, especially those who work with their minds or their wits: writers and orators, commentators and critics, gossips and spin doctors, teachers, travellers, tricksters and thieves.

Mercury retrograde gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted, or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses, and trains. And all of these problems usually arise because some crucial piece of information, or component, has gone astray or awry.

It is not exactly wise to make important decisions while Mercury is retrograde, since it is likely that such decisions will be clouded by misinformation, poor communication and careless thinking. Mercury is all about mental clarity and the power of the mind, so when Mercury is retrograde these intellectual characteristics tend to be less acute than usual, as the critical faculties are dimmed. Make sure you pay attention to the small print!

The Key Issue

The key issue here is one of focus. Mercury's retro phase tends to bring unforeseen changes and blockages, but the aggravation and frustration that many of us experience during these periods is often due to our own inability to roll with the punches. Is this due to our ego-fixation?

Mercury sets out to restructure our thinking processes and for many of us this is painful and frustrating. Unresolved issues from the past tend to push themselves forward. Moreover, these experiences reveal flaws in our internal organisation as well as our external planning, which can make us feel foolish and inadequate.

Mercury retrograde, like any cosmic aspect, affects people differently, depending on where it hits their personal charts. Some people actually prosper under a retro Mercury, especially if Mercury is retrograde but otherwise well-aspected in their birth charts. For example, I have heard of some who excel in the way they play roulette under a retrograde Mercury! It is also a time when matters begun under a previous retro period will come to fruition, or completion as the case may be. Firm decisions that have been previously made when Mercury is travelling normally through the zodiac may be implemented or finalised while Mercury is retrograde without too much worry, for experience shows that this can be done without undue problems arising.

• Let me start with mine....

I woke up a few hours ago, at 3:00am, to get my medicine for my flu. I spent some time on my laptop, to check my emails....I looked at the screen, it showed 3:14am. Oh well, I guess I could spend some time replying to the few important ones before I headed back to bed again.

After replying to 3 emails, I decided to shut my laptop off, my eyes went to the screen clock. Hmm.....it is still showing me 3:14am....how strange! It is still displaying 3.14am when it is already 6.00am now! I know that my laptop works fine because when I hover the mouse over the screen clock, it shows the correct time (pop out window). But on the screen, it is still showing 3.14am . I wonder what the numbers 314 means or if it has anything to do with Mercury.

Wondering....wondering....

• "Many astrologers consider that the "Mercury Shadow" begins between two and three weeks before the actual retro station; so the "shadow phase" begins on April 4, "

Does this mean that this could have affected us since April 4th? On April 6th, I had a communication conflict with someone I am having a long distance relationship with. It was due to a misunderstanding of an e-mail he had sent, I tried to clear it up by speaking to him on the phone but he got all defensive and twisted things around, would not let me explain my point of view, and this is the first time he had reacted like this to anything and I have known him for a long time. Could this be because of the retrograde and "mercury shadow?

• This post is deleted!

• Hi Emergence,

Phew!!....I think the Mercury retrograde has come early for me too!!....especially the part what was stated " Unresolved issues from the past tend to rear their heads. "....

today has been really awful for me, my Son and I are having problems stemming back from years ago, you know the sort of stuff that shocks you in just the fact they still harbour (distorted) resentments and misunderstandings! it's hurt me so much.....but, as always, it will get sorted, although these things take there toll on you doesn't it....

And, my son's birthday was yesterday!!....14th, New Moon...

I've got a terrible feeling things are going to get very rocky for us both for a while, but with a bit of faith and talking to my Angels and Guides hopefully we will overcome this "stuff"....

That was SO interesting too about the clock on your laptop doing that!, I truly believe it was a sign to you from your Angels, I have a file I downloaded about "Numbers" and their meanings, it is one that Doreen Virtue wrote, and I believe it is one way that our Angels and guides try to communicate with us, Wonderful!!

Another very good interesting thread you started Emergence!....

much love joy and peace to you!.....

Denise

♥

• Hmm.. It does affect ne too.. I am normally a cool and not so easily frastratef and angry person regardless of anything.. But something from this month everything goes wrong.. Everything was moving too fast and I can't even have a time to break.. Several thing happens..

I am suddenly left alone in my work place and have to handle much stuff.. I couldn't even get to adept the situation quickly and began to stress up a bit.. Donno why I couldn't keep cool enough and often made poor communications..Next is I don let out my temper to friends and yet I did.. Just couldn't control my emotions well.. Mainly it might be because I am a tarus.. That might affects me alot alot more.. Often I would forget certain things.. Somehow I manage to cool it down and think carefully before making any mistakes.. Nothing has been right for this month~~

Emergence.. It is a pretty cool thread.. I know wat has gotten my mood into it.. Maybe could have take this and let myself think for more before I speaks~~ =D

• This post is deleted!

• Hi notshy2bme,

Thanks for the post! Glad that all ended well though. Just be extra careful okay? 🙂

Mercury - Not slowing down but started on April 4th. It's called the shadow period (2-3 weeks before retrograding).

Some of us can already feel the effect during the "Mercury Shadow" period" already.

So to explain briefly, Mercury is in the process of turning retrograde. The station will be this Saturday. That is a major event for everyone everywhere. Expect problems with transportation and communication. This could signify more crashes and violence due to misunderstanding. But, this is also an opportunity to resurrect old projects. Make certain all details are covered; any sloppy work will revisit you.

Hope this helps!

Lots of love

x x x

• Hi Hopeternal,

Thanks for the post. I hope things will get better between you and your son. Sorry to hear that. Just take it slow during this period. Keep it cool and procrastinate if you can, at least until mid May. Adapt as much as you can and avoid unnecessary communication that you think might lead to misunderstandings. Things will get better, I promise 🙂

Yeah, my laptop clock is not giving me anymore problems lol. That was weird huh! It simply stayed frozen at 3:14am for hours! Oh well, I know now that it was the pranks from the Archangel Michael. According to my angels reading, he is "glued to my side" for now so maybe he was bored and I kept pushing him for signs LOL!

You have a wonderful day! Keep smiling 🙂

Lots of love

x x x

• Hi Mikyo,

Thanks for the post! Sorry to hear that it effects you at work. Communication, frustration etc seems to be the main worries of many people during this period.

It might seem a little strange this week huh?! The New Moon beginnings pushing us forward, while Mercury retrograde urges us to go back and revise or reconsider.

Let's do our best to keep sane okay? 🙂

I need to remind myself that all the time! LOL

Have a wonderful day!

Lots of love

x x x

• Hey all,

It's a "tug of war" period, that's how I called it LOL

You feel pushed and pulled at the same time, makes you really giddy! 🙂

Anyway, when you think about though, these aren’t mutually exclusive activities. Sometimes making a fresh start requires going back over what we’ve done to see what worked and what didn’t. You can bet that I’m doing plenty of that nowadays!

It’s not altogether unpleasant, provided we remain patient and do things in the right order. Trying to push ahead too soon will cost us even more time and energy later.

I hope this article below might help!

Enjoy reading!

Lots of love and stay safe!

x x x

On Monday morning, the Moon in Pisces makes contact with the Saturn-Uranus opposition, reinforcing the message that we’ve got some old business to take care of before we can get on with our new venture. Even after entering Aries, the Moon is in her final waning phase for nearly two full days before Wednesday’s New Moon. This is a great time to clean up what’s on your plate. Just do it! You won’t want any of this stuff hanging over your head when you get your new marching orders.

As I wrote in my New Moon post on Saturday, there’s going to be a lot of activity, and change may come suddenly and without warning. Saturn’s return to Virgo will provide some stability, but it also reminds us of important details we overlooked in a previous undertaking. In a way, Mercury’s turn retrograde on Sunday (Saturday on the West Coast of the United States) may prove to be a blessing, as long as you abide by the Mercury retrograde “rules.”

They are, briefly: Don’t sign any contracts. Don’t make any major purchases, especially electronics or anything to do with transportation. If a critical piece of equipment breaks down and you have to replace it urgently, keep all of your receipts, because you may have to return it. If you’re traveling, be sure to confirm flights and hotel reservations, and allow yourself plenty of time to make connections. Expect delays. Missed phone calls and misunderstandings are typical. Usually, no one is to “blame,” and even if someone else does drop the ball, give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mercury turns retrograde at 12°37′ Taurus just after midnight EDT on Sunday, April 18. He stations direct at 2°39 Taurus on May 11.

There are some activities that actually go better during Mercury retrograde periods. Remember, Mercury rules communications and business negotiations, so editing, rewriting, and revising written work is often more efficient at this time. Renegotiating an existing contract for better terms would be fine, as would going back to work for a previous employer. Some clients also have told me that taking a vacation while Mercury is retrograde works well. Business trips tend not to go very smoothly.

Those are the major trends for this week, but we also have a couple of soft aspects on the weekend that should provide some comfort and relaxation.

On Saturday, Venus in Taurus sextiles Jupiter in Pisces, a lovely aspect for entertaining at home or celebrating with close friends. If you’re in a romantic partnership, make special plans just for the two of you. This is the quintessential “candlelight dinner for two” aspect, so make it count!

On Sunday, the Sun in Aries sextiles Neptune in Aquarius, fueling our desire to take an active part in helping others, protecting the environment, or doing something good for our local community. If nothing else, lend a hand to your next-door neighbor.

• This post is deleted!

• Hi notshytobeme, I really believe this myself!...I have just been on phone to my daughter who is concerned about her partner who is due to fly back on saturday from US....I said the exact same thing to her...."I have a feeling this Mercury Retrograde has something to do with it"....and just told her, don't worry, it will pass...the planets are beautiful!! but very powerful things eh!!...

Denise

♥

• Yeah I was thinking the same thing!

In Amsterdam, they said they might start flying tomorrow (Saturday) but tomorrow is the major miscommunication day! I honestly hope things will work out for them. Feel so sorry for the 130,000 stranded at the airport 😞

• I've got a girlfriend who's been telling me all about this fantastic guy she's met who lives in Ireland. My girlfriend is here in the US. She's been talking to me about how wonderful she thinks he is and how she would love to get together with him, but has no clue how. This morning she texts me and tells me how she finally got scared and told him that they couldn't make things work, that it would be impossible. Communication breakdown? Yep. I told her to hang in there, that everything would probably work out.

For me, though, the Mercury retrograde has been more about reconnecting with something in my past, and it had to do with a miscommunication then.

• Darkness Angel,

Wow, my cousin just got back from New Zealand. Her boyfriend lives there. She was there for 2 weeks long. Now that she is back home, her boyfriend is ignoring her! He is totally withdrawn. She is very confused , they had such a great time together when she was there! She really think that she just got dumped for no reason. I really feel sorry for her.

I told her to give him some time. Let things chill a bit. Think but don't act. Listen but don't speak LOL!

I hope your friend will be okay.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Lots of love

x x x

• Hey Emergence!

There was a post recently about Mercury retro in one's chart. I didn't have an opportunity to respond and reading through this thought I add a personal note.

Both of my SM's had the Messenger retro in their native charts ---- yup, opposites attract, lol ! Talk about wanting to kill the messanger sometimes! When the planet was retro --- it was wonderful for them. You could actually see them light up as they would realize their point was coming across.

Reminds me not to take the luck of the draw for granted : > )

Laie

• Hey Laie4,

Thanks for the message.

Wow, your SM's are those of the lucky people!

I am so very into Astrology and I am thinking of spending my time online this weekend to do some research. I am going to find out more about this Mercury thingy!

Laie4 - Don't take the luck of draw for granted!!!! You hear me?? (lol, thought need to remind you!) 😄

Have a great weekend sista!

Lots of love

x x x

• Hey all,

Something I found online, have fun reading and have a great weekend!

Mercury turns Retrograde

It's that time again -- from April 17 through May 11, 2010, retrograde Mercury will create chaos in communications. To avoid having to backtrack over your plans and projects, be extra mindful when expressing your ideas, signing agreements, making travel arrangements and saving computer files. What's more, Mercury is in Taurus, so all of the above especially pertains to your finances. On the positive side, it's an excellent time to analyze what attitudes/habits are holding you back from being prosperous, and how to use your moneymaking skills to the fullest.

For more specifics, read your Sun and ascendant signs below.

Aries: Making financial decisions or arrangements can get squirrely during retrograde Mercury, so be sure you understand the details and read the fine print to avoid a misunderstanding. Conversely, going inward can inspire a moneymaking idea. Prioritizing what's important in your life by getting in touch with your values will clarify your direction.

Taurus: Getting your ideas across to others may be difficult during retrograde Mercury in your sign. Still, taking some time for introspection will energize and clarify your self-expression after Mercury turns direct. It's also time to analyze how you use words to convey your thoughts and feelings. Journaling can evoke some unexpected insights.

Gemini: Retrograde Mercury encourages a review of your past. Seeing how the past influences the present will reveal what attitudes and emotions are holding you back from moving forward. Meditation and dream analysis will bring insights about your direction and heighten your intuition. Talking to a trusted friend or therapist can bring clarity, too.

Cancer: Mixed messages can derail group discussions during retrograde Mercury. On the other hand, reminiscing about former goals can inspire your present plans. Do you have a long-forgotten dream that's waiting to be revitalized? You may also want to contact a friend from the past to express a feeling that was left unsaid.

Leo: Backtracking over a career project because of a miscommunication is likely during retrograde Mercury. Also, be mindful while talking with your boss (or anyone in authority). On the plus side, analyzing your career goals, attitudes about goal-setting, and talents you want to share with the world will accelerate your path.

Virgo: Reviewing the fine print in legal documents is a must during retrograde Mercury. In your spiritual life, analyzing your beliefs can strengthen your faith. It's also time to review your aspirations in all areas of your life -- romance, finances, health, career and the like. Participating in spiritual/philosophical discussions will illuminate your direction, too.

Libra: You'll need to double-check documents and other communications pertaining to banking and investing during retrograde Mercury. On the positive side, analyzing and discussing the past can help heal emotional wounds that block intimacy. Is there something you need to express that will help you heal? Discussing your sexual needs with your partner will fire up intimacy as well!

Scorpio: Miscommunication with your significant other or business partner are likely during retrograde Mercury, so be extra sensitive during discussions, both in speaking and listening. Conversely, it's an excellent time to discuss relationship and commitment issues. Delving into the past can bring insights about how to resolve problems that hinder your relationship.

Sagittarius: Be on the lookout for communications snafus with coworkers, employees, and health professionals during retrograde Mercury. On the other hand, reviewing and revamping your daily routine will free up your time for more pleasurable pursuits. Your work habits may need revamping as well. And scrutinizing your diet and exercise habits will help you create a healthier lifestyle.

Capricorn: If a former lover suddenly pops into your head (or into your life), it's retrograde Mercury at work. Is there unfinished business you need to discuss? It's also time to review how you communicate your thoughts and feelings to your lover and/or children. Additionally, an old idea for a creative project may be reawakened.

Aquarius: Miscommunication can abound with family members during retrograde Mercury. Mix-ups involving home-improvement projects can throw you off track as well. On the other hand, analyzing how you communicate with your family can improve your connections. Plus, talking about your childhood will bring insights about your current challenges, habits and unexplored talents.

Pisces: Retrograde Mercury is not the time to get lost in a Neptunian fog. That's because mixed messages are likely in everyday conversations, so it's imperative that you speak clearly and listen carefully. Making travel arrangements can be tricky, too. On the plus side, analyzing and revamping your communication skills will enhance your way with words.

• Being a Virgo, Mercury is my signs ruler and it always feels like I'm holding my breath until retrograde is over! I make an extra effort to be mindful of everything around me. Extending my meditation is helpful. It never fails during this time that I begin to connect with people from my past. As a matter of fact, yesterday I RE- connected with an elderly man I used to take care of! It was nice to see him and know that he was doing well in his new home, so in that respect Mercury retrograde isn't so bad.