I REALLY Hate April Fool's Day!

• I wish this tradition would die out. How on earth is it a good thing to make a fool of anyone else for your own amusement?

• I agree.

I have seen some pranks go haywire and cause some serious damage, not only to the person intended, yet to property aand others.

Julianna

• Thankfully, as I have grown older, the pranks seem to lessen. My son told me today that in one of his classes, the topic was the 10 best pranks done on April Fool's Day. Google did one today where they "supposedly" changed their name to Topeka. I'm somewhat ok with this type of prank but I cannot tolerate anything that is mean-spirited or where someone is intentionally hurt. I remember at work one day, someone decided to give a woman a message that she was supposed to return a call. She called and it was a Dial - A - Prayer. Little did anyone know she was really going thru difficult times and found no solice in the call...only hurt and anger. That type of trick is unacceptable.

• The thing I dislike about traditions is that so many people never question them or wonder of they are still relevant or useful. Most people blindly follow a tradition without even knowing its origin, which seems crazy to me.

• I know what you're saying. I guess the tradition goes back to the 1500's. Perhaps it was something that developed out of boredom after a long winter. I don't understand mean pranks either, such as fake lottery tickets. Why is it funny to watch someone feel disappointed or used? I can take a joke even if I am the joke. You know, when you've done something stupid & then that particular action is then named after you. But I'll never understand the mean spirit.

• You're right Myst, i looked it up.

The custom of playing tricks on friends on April 1st is believed to have originated in France in the middle 1500s. Before that time, one calendar was used throughout Europe. Under this calendar, each new year began on April 1st. On that day, people celebrated by exchanging gifts and visiting each other. Then in 1564, King Charles IX of France adopted a new calendar and decreed that each new year was to begin on January 1st. However, while most people followed their king’s decree, there were some who did not like the idea of the change and refused to accept the new New Year’s Day. These people soon became the butt of jokes and tricks by their friends and neighbors because they continued to observe April 1st as New Year’s Day.

These friends and neighbors sent mock gifts, invited these people to fake parties, and played tricks on them because they were “April Fools,” people who clung to their April New Year’s Day.

So it originally began with giving gifts and visiting each other - I think we should go back to that version and not the mean tradition.

• SNAP! 🙂