Help Me Out

• Don't be afraid to ask for advice on how to interpret a hexagram. If you have a specific question about an aspect of the I-Ching, want clarification on certain interpretations of Hexagrams, or are confused about an I-Ching concept, this is the place to get answers!

• I worked with the James Legge version of the I-Ching for many years and some aspects

I think are the best interpretation going, but I'm also aware that other aspects seem very negative and damning with some horrific symbolism and imagery. e.g. Misfortune. Shut in behind thorn-hedged prison walls for three years he does not find the way .........Yikes!!!!!

On the other hand I find some so -called New age attitudes so airy fairy and everything's always wonderful, when you may need a wake-up call over some issue .

I wondered what any of the I-Ching experts may think about this. I prefer the idea that I'm looking

at patterns which i can affect by my response rather than some fixed Fortune or Misfortune

which is unalterable.

• Or consider it as a fabric pr ta[estry/ and I refer to a New Years toast"/we fray into the fututre rarely wrot save in tapestries of afterthoujght

• Or consider it as a fabric pr ta[estry/ and I refer to a New Years toast"/we fray into the fututre rarely wrot save in tapestries of afterthoujght

• I'm not so certain that there is anything "fixed" about the I-Ching outside of the words on the paper. It never stops moving. It flows.

I do agree with the "airy fairy" as you term it though. Positive affirmation is great, and certainly has its practical potential. But a healthy dose of realism goes a long way to avoid deluding oneself or others; doubly so in attempting to apply the divinatory arts/practices.

I have had that very reading; goats horns stuck in the hedge; and the other, hedge before thorns behind. Time is usually not literal with I; its objective. Like saying one is stuck between a "rock & a hard place" ; has been or currently is (not that you asked for an interpretation). Inherent in every response is the answer to its solution.

I've been consulting & learning I for about 2 years now (along with other related/similar studies) and have found it, for the most part, "spot on" regarding what I've asked about; even tried to "fake it" a few times, usually to my subsequent (and deserved) confusion. Shame on me for trying to test it LOL.

After transcribing Huang's book over to text files onto my I-Pod, the greater part of the "theme" of I suggests that it is our own inability to remain balanced by embracing virtue & self-discipline which accounts for the more negative interpretations. It is not saying that one is fated; it is saying "you've made your bed, now you either continue sleeping in it or do something to undo what you've done & re-establish the balance you've set out of sorts" (which seems a given when you consider it). It feels more directly "cause & effect" oriented than other means of divining.