A New Book

• I didn't come to the board looking to have a question answered...but then I noticed that this forum seemed to be populated with those who have some sort of communication with those who have Gone Beyond, so I felt compelled to ask...

A few days ago, I decided to start writing (what I hope will become) a new book. The first chapter is based on an idea that came to me several months ago (I think it may have been for a poem), but I had forgotten until now. Some of the character names and details have come effortlessly, while the words for the manuscript itself feels like I'm searching a nearly-empty blackberry bush for the last fruits. (How's that for an analogy?) The concept is there, and it feels fully formed (or mostly so)...it's just that I'm having a hard time expressing myself.

My concern, however, is that the story involves someone* who Went Beyond last summer. The first few chapters are a fictionalized account of what happened in the weeks after his death (and I mean "fictionalized" to the point of "I took plenty of creative liberties") and then I intend the plot to take a turn toward a murder mystery involving more than just his character. Usually, I don't have too much of a problem getting feelings on different things (probably because I don't seek them); but this time, I don't have any feelings other than, "Am I doing the right thing?"

Could someone help me get a bead on this one? I'd like to know if this is my story to tell (however changed from reality) or if I'm just wasting my time.

=====

• I didn't know him in this lifetime, but now that he's in the Summerlands (or where-have-you), I think he's quite aware of me.

• I would put it to the side and add to it when things come to you. And they will when you aren't tryingStart to write something else and it will all come together

• Thank you for the insight, Sylvannah. I'm starting to think I should take a break from writing for a while, because I've been having a hard time finding the right words for -any- story since I finished the second draft of my most recent novel.

(I don't like avoiding writing completely, but I don't like committing junk to paper, either.)

• Sounds like a good book when you get it together. I would start trying something else and then maybe it will come back to you. Get it out of your thoughts, then bang that was it. Good luck to you.

• You don't have to avoid it. Just do something else but keep a notebook with you cause you never know when something will pop up. Your book will come along if you don't dedicate yourself to it. Try another hobby.

• I'm sure you expected me to say this, Sylvannah, but I'm going to, anyway. I write so much that I don't really -have- another hobby. (Well, there's reading, but I do that so much that it's more of a way of life. chuckle) So I just have to let it rest. There's no other choice for it.

And thank you for the well wishes, Tonib.

• I wish you lots of luck! Let me know how it works

• Sounds like the ideas are still in the process of being formed. You know, the book is the writer. Maybe the "book" wants you to pursue a different slant or venue. Let it percolate awhile. Good luck and great success...