What's your favorite animal, and why?

• I have always always loved horses. I have had two that I called my own, and my Mom and Dad had two, before I ever had mine. They were beautiful, majestic and I just knew that they knew I was their friend. If I couldn't get along with the human race at the time, I could always go out and talk to my horses. I could ride Princess and just get away. She was a thoroughbred, and her daughter (whome she had four months after we bought her) was pure thoroughbred as well. We had a quarterhorse buckskin 6 years before that, and my Dad had to buy my Mom one because he had one...lol. He bought her a palamino. Now, the seller told us that Fred (was the horse's name) was a quarter horse too, but I didn't buy it. I don't know too many quarter horses that stood over 17 hands! But boy was he a beauty. He wasn't as trained as Shoni though (Shoshoni..is what my Dad named her, it was Autogragh. blah!) Well, she died. She got into the wet corn in the field next to ours and got colic. Fred whimpered and whined and stood over her grave for days into weeks. We eventually had to sell him or he was going to die of a broken heart. We sold him to my Dad's brother. They tamed him and he turned into a big baby. I think he never got over the broken heart.

Then I got Princess and she had Precious, then I got my driver's license and wah-lah! I was horse-less. 😞

I had an old wise friend ask me one time though to close my eyes and tell him the first animal that I pictured. It was an old wise grizzly bear, mama bear at that. He told me that was my totem animal because that was the first one that came to mind. I felt protected by that bear. Albeit, I'm scared to death to be in the presence of a bear, but that one was different. So powerful, assuring, comfortable and well, majestic on the mountainside grazing and running through the long weeds. It was beautiful.

Does anyone know if this is true? If these are our totem animals? Or if it was just some simple game he was playing? I love dolphins too. OOOooooh, and tigers. Love love love. I guess I love the exotic animals. & Yes, I put horses in there as exotic, but mostly majestic and loving.

Please do share any animal stories you have, and let me know if you had encountered any "exercises" like my friend had given me. & If you haven't, give it a try. See what you come up with. 🙂

Here's to having some fun! Cheers!

• Horses!! I love horses, and have ever since I was a very little girl. I was born with a love for horses, lol. I am an animal lover by nature, but horses are my favorite. My other favorite animals are cats (big and small), wolves, bears, moose, and...well...dragons. 🙂

I've worked a lot with animals in my life, including doing a lot of rescue work.

• Sylvia Brown talks about totem animals in one of her books, though I couldn't tell you much about them. I guess I didn't retain that information. I will have to look for it when I get a moment,

I have always loved horses as well. There is a very calming presence about them. I grew up around them and miss it very much. I long to have them in my life again. Another animal I find fascinating is the giraffe. They carry themselves so elegantly with their long necks and legs. They seem very powerful but with such a gentle nonchalant way about them. I could watch them for hours. I too seem to love all animals and find them all fascinating in their own way... except for snakes. I can't stand to be around snakes.

In my home, I now have 4 cats. They each have their own special personality, I love the energy they bring into the home, as well as the companionship. I love to see the relationships grow between them. They all take care of each other.

• Nice. I really think that animals really help us through each life time. I have this dog that was my Dad's. He really loved her a lot. (I'm a dog person, not as much a cat person lol). She's an old english bull dog. OH, she's so cute. I love her to death. She was there the day my Dad passed, and it was the saddest thing I've ever seen an animal do. It's like she knew. When the paramedics were working on my Dad, she literally crawled over to his side with the saddest look on her face. She didn't try to hurt anyone. She didn't even show any signs of putting anyone in fear. She just wanted to be by his side. I had to pull her away at the paramedics request. Then sure enough, she made her way back to his side by crawling once again. She was just so sad. She knew.

My Dad told us that she was to be my son's dog if anything should happen to him. He knew it was the only way my Mom wouldn't get rid of her. My Mom HATES her. Her name is Chudders. My Dad came up with this name because when my son and my nephew were little tikes, they couldn't say, "each other's". They would say, "Let's play with chudder's toys." He wanted that memory to last, so he named his dog, "Chudders". I thought that was very special.

I just think that animals play a huge part in human's lives to comfort us, to give us a companion, to just be our friends.

Thanks for sharing. I do miss my horses too.

• Amantim, what a sweet story about Chudders...great name, too! Animals do know when things are going on. I've actually had paranormal experiences with my some of my pets who have passed. I'll start a different topic on that, so as not to hijack this thread. 🙂

• Awe, you can hi-jack it. It's kind of what I was trying for anyway. I wanted to know the spiritual connection between human and animal....at least people's different stores and affirmations. Please do share.

• I love this thread amantim! I'm a cat person. Love them and I believe they are little tranquilizers. It's hard to feel stressed when watching them play or while one is sitting in your lap and purring.

I'm also a horse person. Lots of them here on these forums I see! I keep getting drawn back into working with them. Have tried to move to a city for the past few years but keep getting opportunities to work with horses and so I am thinking maybe that's what I should do for now. I agree with you amantim that when I get sick of being around people, it's always so good to go out and spend time with our four legged friends. Don't you love the sound of them crunching on their hay at night?

As for wild animals....I love lions and elephants. Oh, and bears. I am curious about totem animals too. I was with my boyfriend and we were driving on a long windy mountain road one day when I saw a black wolf in the snow up the bank from the side of the road. I told my boyfriend and he didn't believe me. He said they usually don't appear near humans. He said it must have been a dog so I made him turn and around. Sure enough, it was a black wolf! So, I've wondered if that is a totem animal for me. I worry about animals. I want to protect every one I see as not every human has the respect for them that they deserve. I especially worry about the deer who are out grazing on the side of the road at night. I always tell them to be careful and to go away from the side of the road. 🙂 I hope they listen

Love these stories about animals. I hope they keep coming. Thanks for starting this thread. I'll post some warm and fuzzy stories about animals helping humans later if you're interested. I'm in a rush to get out of the house but was drawn to you r thread and now can't stop from replying! Darn these forums. I get drawn in every time..... 🙂 Best to you all!

• LOL! I know the feeling. These threads make me so comfy though....like I finally fit. 🙂

I wonder about that black wolf too. Sounds like he was "watching over you." Please do share more stories. Love love love them!

Now, it's hard for me to sympathize for the deer since TWO of them ran into me this winter! My poor headlight is just dangling (but the brights still work...the regular light worked 'til the second one hit me). Well, the deer ran off, seemingly unharmed, and I'm trying to get my head light fixed. The worst was that it was only 6 days apart that I hit them! I was frustrated to say the least.

I would love to have horses again, but to be truthful, I don't think I have the patience to take care of them again. I don't t hink I have the time, nor the money. I would love to find a barn that lets you ride...but I cannot find any that are free-ridinig. You always need a coach or what-not. I am experienced, but they do not want to be liable. I get it. I just wish they existed. I really do miss riding horses. I miss brushing them. I miss being able to go out to the barn and just talking to them. They seem to listen.

Okay, here's a great one:

One day after riding Princess, I needed to take her saddle off. I was leaving it in the garage, because the rats were chewing at the leather in the barn. So, until I got on the rat control, that's how I had to do it. So, I had my sister hold her reins while I was setting the saddle on the freezer. Well, my sister hated my horse (I think she was jealous that I had gotten such an elaborate gift). She started tugging on her reins and saying, "If you're such a big bad horse, then why don't you come in the house?" Then she turned around. Mind you, we had these extremely wobbly wooden steps to the kitchen from the garage (split level home), and the kitchen was just a narrow walkway between the sink and the stove.

All of a sudden, she heard a BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM! My horse had climbed up the stairs and walked right into the kitchen. Well, the floor wasn't that solid, and my Dad was worried she would fall through. He knew he'd have to put her down if she had gotten a leg stuck. So, his only thought was to get her through the front door by taking her through the house....through the kitchen, through the dining room, and taking a right through the living room and out the front door. This was a scary thought, and we scrambled for the camcorder (this was 1990). We found the camcorder, but the batter was dead...go figure! Sure enough, as we were fumbling with the camera, Princess decided to take a dump on the kitchen floor! Without getting too graphic, her poohs were VERY large. She was very large. She stood 16hands tall.

So without further ado, my Dad walked her out the front door. The neighbors never saw a horse go in, but they saw this massive beast walking out of our front door. LOL! It was hilarious. Then my parents told me I had to clean up the pooh because she was my horse. I thought it should be my sister's responsibility, because she was the one that coaxed her in the house in the first place. Nope. It became my job. I was so mad.

Now, like a foolish 15 year, I went to the cleaners cupboard and grabbed the ammonium. It was SO gross. It smelled like urine! LOL! So, my Dad instructed me to use the bleach, and that did it. I never let my sister anywhere near my horse again after that.

• hahhahaha! Amantim! Fantastic story! Your horse really showed your sister that she was a "big bad horse" after all. I love it. That is too funny!

There is a youtube video of a horse who lives in the house and even rides in a convertable car with his owners. It is hysterical. i'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

Thanks for the laugh. It's a dark ,cold, gloomy day here and I needed that! 🙂

• Ok, amantim, I can't post it here but if you google "patches the horse" you should find the video. Patches the horse was born and lived his life on south Florida ranch. The rancher started training Patches from an early age to do some pretty unsual things. You can see a video of Patches riding in cars, lying down in bed, eating cheeseburgers and drinking apple juice, answering the phone. It is so stupid it is funny. Anyway, thought you might find it funny after your experience of having a horse in the house!

• LMAO! The horse in the house! What a fantastic story! I can't thin of anything to top it. But I would like to tell about our dod we had years ago. She was a boxer. Her mane was Crayon. My daughter who was 4 at the time named her. She was quite a dog. Very playful. She did so many funny things... like trying to lick all the peanut butter out of the jar... She would even follow my daughter up and down the slide when we went to the park. And she loved to chase a flashlight. She hated being alone though, and was quite the escape artist. She did everything from chewing through doors to jumping through windows. We finally had to resort to taking her everywhere with us, and she would wait patiently in the car, in the drivers seat til we came back.. She was precious! In spite of how much we all loved her, she was my husband's very best friend. She helped him through some tough times. Then we had to giver her up. It nearly killed us. I am sure she is passed on now. She still comes to me in my dreams occasionally. What I wonder is, do animals reincarnate? Sometimes I think she may have come back to us as our cat Ginger, who found us as a kitten a little over a year ago. Ginger is just as silly as Crayon, and is very attached to my husband. She also is helping him through some tough times. I'd love to get some other perspective on this.

Love and light!

• This is a great thread!

I'd have to say horses for the top of my list, although I don't have one at the time. I just feel drawn to them -- like Darkness said, I was born loving them! I also love cats, and oddly, fish, ducks, geese, and chickens. I won't list dogs there because that kind of goes without saying. Really, who doesn't love dogs? We have four dogs.

Never having owned a bird before, I was STUNNED at how different their little personalities are! I always assumed they wouldn't have much personality, but now I have a chicken who will jump up into my lap and follow me around as I do my chores.

• Does GUS realize he's not #1 on this list ?! LOL

• This post is deleted!

• I used to dream of snakes frequently as a child, and I have always been terrified of them. What do you suppose it means?

• missymill

the animals that come in dreams lend us strength and wisdoms

but not all dreams about animals mean the same

in general dreams can mean any of this :

• premonitive (about the future),

• your subconscious warning you about health problems or problems you are not aware of

• past life events

• recent or childhood hurts (betrayed, violence, abuse etc),

• a message from someone/something trying to reach you

• hopes and fears that you keep for yourself they manifest in dreams

so a dream about snake, can mean you need its qualities

Elusiveness

Primitive or elemental energy

Psychic energy

Creative power

Connection to the magical world

or it's one of the general dreams meaning I wrote above

When you read this post, try to remember your childhood, the period where you dreamed of the snakes. Your feelings about certain family member, friends in school, teachers, school projects etc and your health condition.

When I dreamed of snakes, I was working in a place I didn't like. In one dream, the snake bit me. A message that someone didn't like me and tried to hurt me or she/he had done it. In a few more dreams, the snakes watch me. A message that someone or a few people, were watching, trying to figure me out. Which could be the higher ups or someone trying to pull me to his/her side. In reality, I would avoid snakes at all costs LOL so yeah back then these dreams almost paralyzed me. I didn't find out until a few years later when I found the website above and then I remember what happened at work.

• I remember having one of the dreams repeatedly, where I came home from church with my Grandfather. There were snakes everywhere. We were trying to get into the house. and we had to get on top of the car, jump on the fence, and climb into the trees to get into the house. They covered the ground, so that I couldn't see it. I was so scared. I don't really know what might have been going on in my life at the time. The dream came repeatedly throughout my childhood. I was abused as a child, so maybe that's what I really wanted to escape from.

Another time when I was about 14, I dreamed I was at the creek standing on a rock, and this huge black snake came out, looked at me and proceeded to strike, I watched as he opened his huge mouth, and then I jumped away as he tried to strike. I woke up as I was jumping to get away. Interesting, as I go back and read over this that I refer to the snake as a "he"...

As I am writing this, I getting flashes of many other dreams of snakes that I have had as an adult, although they do not terrify me as they used to. I still always have a very unsettled feeling when I dream about them.

I still not like snakes to this day. I tried as a young adult to get over my fear of them. I went over to a friend's house who raised them, and I just couldn't stand to be there. I can't even get close to them at the zoo, when they are behind glass. I get really freaked out.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and listening. Any additional insight will be much appreciated.

Love and light to all.

• I feel the exact same way about spiders! Oh my gosh! I just can't even handle the thought of them! Ewwwww! I had a friend that had a rose-colored spider (it was basically pink). She held out her hand and said, "Isn't this so cute? It's the neatest thing!" I screamed as loud as I ever had, and leaped half the room away! All it was, was the molting of their little "pet". When they molt, it looks exactly like their form. So, I thought it was the tarantula itself. That was a bad day for me. LOL! I have been afraid of spiders since I can remember. Wonder if I was bitten by one in a past life and it was deadly or something. Hmmm. Something to ponder on, eh?

On birds --- LOVE LOVE LOVE them! We have two African Greys and I love them to death. They are so beautiful and smart. They mock just about everything. The greatest perk is they were my Dad's birds (well, 1 was my Mom's, but my Dad took care of them). The perk is that they sound just like him, like when he used to call my Mom "Hey HON!" It still brings tears to our eyes.

The other funky thing about them is, and I could be wrong about this but: I have heard them on different occasions say things that they had never said before, nor had my Dad taught them (that I know of), and it sounds like his voice. I wonder if he is trying to speak through them. I know that sounds far-fetched or reaching, but I still wonder. I haven't quite made out what they have said, I'm usually upstairs, and they're downstairs. Anybody get anything on that? Pretty peculiar.

And yes, sadly, I know someone that really doesn't like dogs (how? not sure), but my Mom. 😞 She hates my Chudders. Poor dog. I give her extra attention because of it.

• Amantim, Missymill

" I still always have a very unsettled feeling when I dream about them. "

The unsettled feeling is normal, it could be just phobia. Fear of reptiles or spiders or certain animal. Most church goers I know fear snakes because the Bible describes it has something to do with the Devil. I'm not church goers so I could be wrong but that's what I remember from them saying. Fear of snakes or spiders, however is very common. I am not church goer but I still fear both spiders and snakes. Something might have happened in your past life, this animal killed you or someone you loved. The pain is carried to this life time, maybe even the next.

"Another time when I was about 14, I dreamed I was at the creek standing on a rock, and this huge black snake came out, looked at me and proceeded to strike, I watched as he opened his huge mouth, and then I jumped away as he tried to strike. I woke up as I was jumping to get away. Interesting, as I go back and read over this that I refer to the snake as a "he"..."

Because in this dream the snake represents human. Not lending their strengths and wisdom. The same as my dream about office situation. This person was planning to hurt you or probably already did it. You escaped, however. Whoever this man was, you would find out later in life usually, or may be you had a clue but forgotten.

"There were snakes everywhere. We were trying to get into the house. and we had to get on top of the car, jump on the fence, and climb into the trees to get into the house. They covered the ground, so that I couldn't see it. I was so scared. I don't really know what might have been going on in my life at the time. The dream came repeatedly throughout my childhood. I was abused as a child, so maybe that's what I really wanted to escape from"

You were hurt. Emotionally and psychologically. Abused victim very often have nightmares, because their mind is troubled. Pain of abuse, is inflicted over and over again, so it creates deep wounds be it physical or in the mind. Your subconscious is describing your situation to you. You fear snakes, so it used snake as a symbol. The snakes were around you, so whoever abused you, live close to you or in the same house. They are everywhere = you felt trapped or you were trapped, no one to run to, no one believed you, no one saw your side of the story, and so on.

"Wonder if I was bitten by one in a past life and it was deadly or something. Hmmm. Something to ponder on, eh?"

Yeah, it's possible.

"The other funky thing about them is, and I could be wrong about this but: I have heard them on different occasions say things that they had never said before, nor had my Dad taught them (that I know of), and it sounds like his voice. I wonder if he is trying to speak through them. I know that sounds far-fetched or reaching, but I still wonder."

It's not far fetching. Sometimes spirits use animals to communicate. I read on here, someone who was assocatoed with dragonflies, died. Then his daughter saw a lot of dragonflies. I forgot where but she did, and it wasn't a dream. He was telling her, either goodbye or "I am always around" and he felt that using the dragonflies, it would be obvious for her.

"And yes, sadly, I know someone that really doesn't like dogs (how? not sure), but my Mom. 😞 She hates my Chudders. Poor dog. I give her extra attention because of it. "

Could be phobia or something in her past life, or around childhood. I know someone who fears cats, because when she was a child, she played with wild ones and got scratched over and over again. To us, it might be normal. Wild animals and all. But to some people, it is not and can create fear or restlessness around the animal.

I'm not dream interpreter, per se, so I hope this helps.

• leoscorpion -- Thank you! That brought a lot of answers to my questions. Thank you very much. To be able to hit on all the questions is amazing. Indeed, thank you.