I need some advice on what to do

• My mom has a brother who lives about 5 miles away, honestly, not for any particular reason, she and he don't talk to each other. I really don't know him that well, but I do remember him when I was a kid, he was away alot because he made a very good living in the military. The last time I saw him was about 15 years ago when my grandma passed away. What I was wondering is how many of you think it would be wrong if I were to ask this man if he could lend me some money. I know that it would take a lot of nerve of me and to be honest I really don't know if I can get up the nerve to go to his house to ask him. My mother however, says that I should go ahead and ask him, she says that all he could do is say yes or no. What do you all think I should do?

• Hi Singlelaidee,

He may think it's a bit of nerve since you and your Mum haven't had much to do with him over the years but your Mum is right, he will either say yes or no. As long as you are prepared and ok with receiving either answer, then go ahead.

• It takes a lot of nerve to go to a family member to ask for a loan and that's how I would put it when I asked. But gee wouldn't it be nice to get to know him some before you hit him up for money? I think that way you can have a feel about whether to ask or not.