Do Any of You Work With the Elderly?

• I am a Capricorn and not in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined working with elderly people who live in my community. It started when I applied as Secretary for the director of a Senior Citzens Social Service Center where the elderly who lived in the apartment complex gatherered for social activities. In fact, I had been visiting my great Aunt who lived in the complex and never knew the agency was right below her until I went for my interview and got hired. That was in 1989 and I have been there eversince. There is a saying that Capricorns root and never leave where they are...like Trees!! Anyway, I work for an agency that provides in-home, non-medical services to Seniors who want to stay in their homes or apartments. I supervise field employees who provide the actual service ( i.e., cleaning, laundry, shopping, bathing, grooming and respite care). It's not an easy job and just because I sit behind a desk and work on a computer my day is always filled with a crisis of some kind or another but the biggest problem is getting the worker to the client's home. Just recently I had an employee who just did not show up to her client and did not call to let anyone in the office know that she would no longer be working for us. When I tried calling her the cell phone had been disconnected. That's what I have to deal with and that's why my hair is grayer than it should be. Do any of you go through this too?

• I work with the elderly, but your problem seems to the employees not the elderly. It is hard to find people who are reliable, sometimes. I think it would help if you had people you could call on when employees don't show up. We have to plan for problems, have a back up plan. The elderly deserve support and care. Keep being the supportive helpful person you are.

• Dear cyw39, Thanks for your support but it seems that we are the only ones who have an interest in the elderly on this board. Do you know of any other board we can talk about this on? I will gladly follow you!!

• It's not that I don't care...I'm techno-challenged! Here is a website that might help you with the resources you're looking for:

http://members.advoconnection.com/emailnotice/index.htm

It is a Patient advocate site that will help you find some reliable help and contacts to meet your challenges. I'm a Holistic Health Practitioner and work with the elderly and their families as part of my practice. I use this site to provide assistance for them. Caregivers in general are hard to find, but you may want to check into linking up with other agencies that have a temp pool you can draw from to fill in gaps when your employees miss their appointments. They usually get a higher rate, but hopefully you will only call them for fill in work while you address challenges in your staffing,. Good Luck!

• This post is deleted!