My mother wants to go home....

• what do I do? She has no desire to live eventhoug she totally could live physically for many years to come. SHe wants to go home and I came just in time to stop her. Was I right in doing so? Should I let her go? She seems to resent me for bringing her back and now the guilt is eating me up. Please help.

• Hi...that can be such a tricky situation, I know a little bit about how you feel, though the experience that I speak from is not exactly the same, but similar enough. Is there anything you can do to improve the quality of her emotional life? Does she have a supportive group of friends that can check on her from time to time?

It's so difficult to know what's the right thing to do, especially when you love them and only want what's best. What you prevented was only a natural reaction, and a pure one at that. A motivation of love. She may not understand it now, but she will eventually, and if she loves you, she wouldn't want you to suffer, knowing that she took a short-cut on life.

This is all good in theory, I know, as every situation is complicated and lines are blurred. I understand why she would want to return home, but there is a reason we're here, and maybe she just needs something new to come into her life to remind her, I don't know...

I wish you luck...

• Hi Sarah, Does your mom live w/you. My suggestion is to offer her a compassionate ear. Listen to her. Sounds like she has been mourning for a while. Might seek help for her yourself. There's a reason why you stopped it in time. Do not ever just let her go thru w/something like this. I know at our church people volunteer to visit w/folks. I don't know what happened or what her condition is but you need to give her hope. People like this have suffered and have lost hope--did she have a personal loss like a member of the family.

• Remind her when her time is up she will pass. There are penalties for early out. She must not kill herself. This is a lesson many people must learn. being the last when your friends and family have passed is not easy. Learn the lesson, experince the journey to the end. You did well.