Can you help me to understand my readings?

• I am a young woman and the subject I had in mind is a young woman. I'm single. I think she has a boyfriend or figure this guy she's around with often (but doesn't show public displays of affection with) could be her boyfriend. My intuition is telling me that she is interested in me but I'm holding back to doing any thing because I don't want to be in involved with some one who is involved with another and I'm very selective about who I will have an intimate relationship with. It wouldn't be right for that person, her, nor I. I know that there are many other potential romantic interests I can pursue or build a relationship with, but I'm just taking my time and waiting for the one that feels right and the moment. My friend who reads cards has been telling me lately that I'll be in my first serious relationship (female or male) by Thanksgiving break. I'm just wondering about who it can be, thinking about the possibilities, and what to be aware of. Maybe you can do a reading for me to see what kind of qualities will my next potential partner will have?

Love Bottom Line Spread:

Advice Position: Knight of Swords

The Loved One Position: Page of Cups

Self Position: Six of Cups

Situation Position: Six of Swords

Potential Position: Ace of Coins

Relationship Spread:

How I see myself (top left): Seven of Wands

How I see the subject in mind (top right) : Justice

How I feel about the subject (center left): Eight of Wands

What stands between us (center right): King of Pentacles

How the subject sees me (lower left): Nine of Wands

How the subject feels about me (lower right) The Sun

The present status or challenge of the relationship (center): Six of Pentacles

• Dear Alyssa,

this website has a really bad rendering of the Celtic Cross -- It's a bunch of gobbledegook!

I have a powerful deck . . . I am about to bring it back . . but that's another matter . . .

The way it works is you concentrate and pick one card -- not to be revealed until the end . . .

That card goes center -- Then I with ultra clean hands shuffle for complete randomness . . .

Then you must cut twice to your left, three stacks of cards . . .

I stack them according to your cutting . . .

Then The Celtic Cross begins . . .

This is "What covers you" -- Not Yourself -- The Seventh Card is "You", not the first!!!!!!!!

The first card is your "safety net", or your current fucked up situation. Take your pick.

This is "What crosses you" -- the obstacles in your path!

Card three: "This is what is above you" -- Your "Ego-Ideal"? Your god? Your Guiding Principle?

Card Four: "This is what is beneath/below you" -- your undercurrents, perhaps ugly, or the things that you would never stoop to do -- or perhaps a good foundation -- you are the judge, not me.

Card Five: This is: "What is behind you" -- well that's simple -- recent past

Card Six: This is: "What is before you" -- that's simple -- soon future

Card Seven: YOU -- yourself

Card eight: "YOUR HOPES AND FEARS"

Card nine: "The SOON OUTCOME"

Card ten: "The LONGTERM OUTCOME"

That is the correct pattern

• Thank you for your input. I'm open to your reading.

Thanks again,

Alyssa

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Tarot.com welcomes feedback on its Celtic Cross spread, and any other product. It'd be very interesting to hear your source of origin for your spread, and what makes it more correct or superior. That kind of dialogue is quite engaging and useful to the Tarot community!

However, we must humbly request that users refrain from offering their own Tarot reading or other services on these forums, which are for non-commercial purposes only.

• Like SimonTemplar, I too was surprised by the 11 card Celtic Cross offered here. However, unlike him, I have found the tarot.com version to be very satisfactory.

Maybe the intended reading pattern must be clear during shuffling (I use wash, box-riffle-riffle, box-riffle-riffle, strip-riffle-cut). But either way the cards read well for their intended variant and often wouldn't make as much sense with the other layout.

The Celtic Cross I am familiar with comes from Mary Greer's "Tarot for Your Self". She presents a 10 card spread, with comments on five traditions or sources. She also mentions that an additional card may be used for various functions. The variants as (a) Traditional (mostly Waite), (b) Jungian (mixture of sources), (c) Angeles Arrien, (d) Joanne Kowalski and (e) Others, including her own practice.

Greer's placement of Foundation, Recent Past, Higher Power and Near Future (to use Tarot.com terminology, she uses card numbers) is clockwise like Christine Payne-Towler's. SimonTemplar's account is interesting, placing these cards explicitly using a cross formation.

Greer makes much of the fact that the Celtic Cross uses 10 cards (numerologically significant). It is interesting that like tarot.com, SimonTemplar uses 11 cards. If the initial card is taken as a significator, the second as the situation and the third as what confounds/crosses the situation, his pattern follows Greer's "Traditional" and "Jungian" variants. Personally, I feel that "Self" is an easier label than significator and the central group-of-three between the vertical powers and horizontal times is intuitively appealing.

Regarding the "Self" position at the base of the staff, Greer's "Traditional" and "Jungian" readings are "Yourself as you see yourself" (traditional) and "The persona or mask" (Jungian). SimonTemplar's interpretation might be seen as a pure, possibly "fundamentalist" interpretation of these tendencies. To continue the analogy with Christian perspectives, Christine Payne-Towler is offering a "liberal" interpretation. As the "Self" is already represented, she is maybe emphasising those aspects of the self which the querent is hanging on to (and therefore potentially making the "cross" worse).

In my opinion, SimonTemplar's card 6 (soon future) and card 9 (soon outcome) are too similar. It may be that the contrast between the two may shed additional light, but such subtleties are surely beyond a computer generated system.

Using an Advice card in one these positions is surely essential. From a purely humane perspective, we all need something we can do about difficult situations. Cards that are not under direct human interpretation could easily be read in a mechanistic way. And a tarot system accessible from the privacy of your own home is likely to attract more querents who are vulnerable and afraid, not less. Without a modifier like "Advice", a reading could so easily crush rather than support.

As a final note, I would like to express my gratitude for the tone of Christine Payne-Towler's interpretations. It has been enlightening for me to see how it is possible to give informative, beneficial and even challenging readings while avoiding entirely any hint of negativity. As a Virgo, I tend to be critical and picky, so I am grateful to have her practical example to follow.