Page of Swords as obstacle

• Hello, I did a celtic cross yesterday, the subject was about meaningful friendships and connections with people. Situation card was the Wheel of fortune, past was Ace of swords and immediate future was The devil. I can get a comprehensive reading of these, and the surrounding cards, but I'm not sure how to read the obstacle. 'Gossip' often comes up as a reading for this card, but I'm still not sure what it is trying to say. Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

• I dont know what deck you used but if it's RWS the imagery may suggest someone who does not give their full attention to conversations and appearing disinterested in what the other person is saying. It could be gossip, passing on what someone has said to them.
    As it's a Page it suggests a skill yet to be learned, so someone who is not articulate or careless with their words.

• Thanks @Greywaren yes it is RWS. I think I'm having trouble interpreting this as a block or obstacle because I'm not sure how to interpret the idea of the obstacle itself. As in, is it a person who is the obstacle... or a trait of mine that is the obstacle?

I'm a fairly articulate, considered person when I talk about people (most of the time!) but I would have thought that if this represented someone else or an external factor it would have showed up elsewhere on the spread, rather than here.

I'm wondering if it means other's (or a particular person's) gossip about me/careless words are harming me and my friendships. I'd rather that not be what it is saying as it feels like a very powerless place to be...and the devil in the immediate future isn't exactly reassuring based on that reading.

I've just realised what an emotional trigger the idea of gossip is to me.

Perhaps that's the answer in itself!!

• @LastLight said in Page of Swords as obstacle:

Thanks @Greywaren yes it is RWS. I think I'm having trouble interpreting this as a block or obstacle because I'm not sure how to interpret the idea of the obstacle itself. As in, is it a person who is the obstacle... or a trait of mine that is the obstacle?

I'm a fairly articulate, considered person when I talk about people (most of the time!) but I would have thought that if this represented someone else or an external factor it would have showed up elsewhere on the spread, rather than here.

I'm wondering if it means other's (or a particular person's) gossip about me/careless words are harming me and my friendships. I'd rather that not be what it is saying as it feels like a very powerless place to be...and the devil in the immediate future isn't exactly reassuring based on that reading.

I've just realised what an emotional trigger the idea of gossip is to me.

Perhaps that's the answer in itself!!

If people gossiping is a trigger for you then this explains the obstacle. It may be the fear of being the subject of gossip holds you back. It may be worth looking at your levels of trust.

• @55Degrees Yes, thank you, this makes complete sense. It's funny how obvious it is now - but I had to write all that above to arrive at the clarity! Sharing with people ALWAYS helps - thanks Tarot forum 🙂