Libra Craft Challenge: Beastly to Beautiful

• Enter the Libra Craft Challenge Here!

Just hit the "Reply" button to post a pic of your craft, and you'll be entered in the contest.

With the Sun in lovely Libra, make the most of this artistic time by transforming something ugly, tacky or otherwise beastly into something beautiful. What better contest to enter as Halloween draws near?

Libra's goal is to bring more beauty, balance and harmony into the world. Do your part by participating in our craft challenge! Spend $20 or less at a thrift store and buy something -- a piece of artwork, clothing, platter, statue, furniture, etc. -- and revamp it into something gorgeous.

The only requirements are:

1. The item must come from a second-hand store and have cost $20 or less.

2. You must take pictures of the item in its original state, so we can see both the before and after.

3. Be original!

Deadlines:

1. Post the "before" and "after" photos of your craft, and describe how you made it, from September 25 to October 20 under this topic. Each participant can enter only ONE project.

2. Polling will happen from October 20 to October 24, with live results displayed in the Forums.

3. The lucky winner will be announced on October 25, when the Sun is in Scorpio. The prize is a copy of Your Astrology Guide 2009 -- signed by the authors, Rick & Jeff!

Get started now, and good luck!

• Hi there, a quick question about these challenges...can you only participate for the challenge of your birth month? Not that I'm craft-capable, but I have wondered about that ruling.

• This box was an old cigar box which I filled with odd stuffed animals and mini wine bottles.

• I think I got it to the right size now...

• Lioness ... good question! Anyone may enter any craft challenge. The challenges are, you may have noticed, themed around which sign the Sun is in at the time of the challenge. So for the Leo challenge, it was all about light ... appropriate for the fiery, celebratory Leo. For sometimes-perfectionist Virgo, it was about organization and order. And now for Libra, it's about balance and equilibrium ... between something that was once beastly and is now beautiful.

• Thanks for clarifying that for me, RobTarot 🙂

• Sashoni (or anyone else who tries to upload a craft and has trouble): if you can't get it to work, feel free to e-mail it to forums@tarot.com and I'll format it and post it in your name!

• joy do i have to do this?

• Hi, has anyone entered this competition? I'm probably being stupid but where do we see the pics entered by people? Thanks! :)))

• I ame tovote whee arethe pics.....

• No pictures, no candy, boooooooooooo

• Ok, here's my entry...took me awhile to figure out how to attach this.

I had some wrought iron wall art hanging on my large wall in the family room. I could never figure out why it looked so garish & severe & still blank, even though I had several pieces collaged together. Something was needed to tie those stark, cold-looking iron pieces to it's cozy colorful surroundings. Talk about an imbalance! I then remembered some fabric I bought at a teeny-tiny second hand store while traveling. It was the greatest find: A huge trunk filled with really old, torn curtains & upholstery covers. Most of the textiles were hideous and dated in and of themselves...damasks, brocades, embroidered organzas, etc. But me being a lover of all fabrics & always with the idea that I can make something better of it, told the gal in the store that I'd buy everything in the trunk for $10. She talked me up to $15 and out I walked with a 30-gallon-sized black trash bag of dusty, musty fabrics (too bad she didn't give me the trunk in which she had the textiles stuffed).

I decided those cold-looking metal pieces on my giant bare wall needed color and warmth. So I sewed together some panels for the largest iron piece & taped the panel to the back with duct tape (lol)....there was no other way to attach it to the metal. For the second-largest iron piece, I layered the sheer organza over a piece of damask & taped that to the back of the metal frame. Ditto for the smaller iron frames. I was delighted to see how all of the fabrics went very well in texture & color scheme with my throw pillows & candles.

I think the wrought iron pieces have been brought to life & the huge wall behind my sofa looks filled & luxurious. And the homely fabric is now dressed beautifully in metal frames, a very nice balance of textures and elements 🙂

I have the before & after shots all included in this one attachment. Hopefully it's not too crammed to see it all well.

• Picture was too large. I'll attach it again

• Hopefully closer views...

• I recently refinished this table myself I picked it up in a second hand shop real cheap and done all the work myself on it thankyou ...

• Not sure if this counts, but I picked up this tacky pair of acrylic socks marked "new but slightly flawed" in a second-hand store that had a whole bin of close-out items from another store. Some snipping and sewing, then stuffed with stuffing from a second-hand pillow. The lips are formed from the heel of one sock. The eyes are hand-painted buttons from a vintage store in the same neighborhood. The tongue was made from an odd sock I'd lost the mate to.

Cost:

socks $0.50

pillow stuffing $1.00

buttons $0.50

Total: $2.28 including tax.

It started out flawed, ended up, well, still a beast, but rather a cute one. Isn't that a Libran thing?

• I found this unpainted glass bottle at a flea market for five bucks. It looked just like the genie bottle from the "I Dream of Jeannie" sitcom so I decided to paint it just like the original one depicted on the show. I researched pictures of the bottle at the library and found one in the TV Guide with Barbara Eden holding the bottle. It came out looking just like the original!

• Sorry - I'm having a Mercury retrograde moment. Reposting the entry above, this time WITH the pictures hopefully.

Not sure if this counts, but I picked up this tacky pair of acrylic socks marked "new but slightly flawed" in a second-hand store that had a whole bin of close-out items from another store. Some snipping and sewing, then stuffed with stuffing from a second-hand pillow. The lips are formed from the heel of one sock. The eyes are hand-painted buttons from a vintage store in the same neighborhood. The tongue was made from an odd sock I'd lost the mate to.

Cost:

socks $0.50

pillow stuffing $1.00

buttons $0.50

Total: $2.28 including tax.

It started out flawed, ended up, well, still a beast, but rather a cute one. Isn't that a Libran thing?

• Here is the finished "I Dream of Jeannie" bottle.

• Beautiful! I love it!