New to Tarot & looking for advice

• Hello everyone,

I'm super excited to be starting my tarot journey but I feel a little overwhelmed. There are so many cards and with so many instructional books to choose from it's difficult figuring out where to begin! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to best study them. And for all the masters out there, how long did it take you to learn all their meanings? Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Stunning-Open-Winged-Flying-Celtic-Owl-Tattoo-Design.jpg

Thank you!

• Regarding books, I highly recommend WTF is Tarot? by Bakara Wintner, it's a more modern approach to reading the cards.
    Joan Bunnings 'Learn Tarot' is a great learning resource too, you could invest in the book, however she has uploaded the entire thing (FOR FREE) on the Web. It's a complete beginners course and very insightful.
    As for learning all the meanings..........welcome to a life long learning process.
    Practice is the best way to learn.

• @55Degrees said in New to Tarot & looking for advice:

Regarding books, I highly recommend WTF is Tarot? by Bakara Wintner, it's a more modern approach to reading the cards.
    Joan Bunnings 'Learn Tarot' is a great learning resource too, you could invest in the book, however she has uploaded the entire thing (FOR FREE) on the Web. It's a complete beginners course and very insightful.
    As for learning all the meanings..........welcome to a life long learning process.
    Practice is the best way to learn.

That should read Joan Bunning (silly autocorrect )

• @55Degrees Okay. Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely look into it. 😊 And you have a good point; like with anything new, it just takes time learning. Concerning patience, this will be great practice.

Stunning-Open-Winged-Flying-Celtic-Owl-Tattoo-Design.jpg

• @SET If you're using the Arthur Waite deck, which is the by far the most popular, I would start with Arthur Waite's pictorial key to the tarot. Otherwise, Tarot of the Bohemians. They're both difficult reads, and sadly, a lot of readers skip this step. It's like a psychologist who skips college, it makes no sense, and I really can't overstate the utility of knowing what the cards were intended to mean when they were first envisioned by Arthur Waite. All other interpretations are really arbitrary. Learn what those cards truly mean, from Arthur Waite's book, then narrow it down to one to three word definitions so that you can read fluently; that is to say, turning over card after card while verbally defining each one without pausing. Then the hard part begins, lol - interpreting spreads. It takes practice, there's no way around it, but I can offer you one tip here and you can message me if you want to talk more, but this is so important: don't be afraid to ask questions. You read cards, not minds, and the more you know about the querent the better you can decipher the messages in the spread. Don't be a cold reader, That's so 90's... So ask lots of questions, because they want to talk to you about it, they want answers and they will help you find them. Best of luck!

• Hi ..
    Learning Tarot can be such a process and can be different for all of us as we all learn very differently..
    Choosing a deck that speaks volumes to you is important. For me I started with the Native American Tarot by Magda Weck Gonzales. I began by learning 2-3 keywords at a time per card and started by working with no more than 3 cards at a time in a spread. and slowly was able to increase to larger spreads. By practicing I was able to do readings for others in a variety of environments.. This was a very slow journey and it took time to fully understand how the cards merge together in a reading, depending on layouts, spreads used, questions asked etc ...
    The best book was a companion book with the deck, or even the LWB can be a great starting point to begin the journey fo self-discovery... Another great way to learn the cards is through meditation, reflection, in a journal describe the image of the card.. let the card tell you a story.. What does the character look like, what does the character say, what does the character do before, during and afterwards? Or take a moment to Write down the Fool's Journey through the Major Arcana then through each suit ... This is one way to get to know the cards personally ...

There are so many amazing books to read and work through the exercises.. discovering what works for you is so personal..
    There are amazing resources available through this site, with the meanings available to read. and lots of people who can answer questions ... Some recommendations include any books by Rachel Pollack, Mary K Greer, Melissa Cynova, Benebell Wen (with Holistic Tarot a great resource manual ) , plus so many others . Depending on what your purpose for reading Tarot is and how much time and study you want to put into it ... even after 20+ years I am still learning to improve my readings for others..
    There are some incredible channels on Youtube that share a wealth of info as well ... Take your time, keep a journal and build your knowledge slowly over time ... Take care