Empathic?

• I came across this quizz on Facebook created by Dr. Christiane Northrup . And because I love going this quizz for fun I completed the quizz and got the results.
    According to Dr. Northrup I am an authentic (genuine) empath.
    The whole result read "You are highly sensitive to the energy around you, and your mood often shifts to match the energy of the people you interact with. Because of this, the world can seem overwhelming at times, so you try to protect yourself, opting to avoid crowds, violence, noise, and other things with strong energy.

As a child—and even today—you likely experienced things that others didn’t. You sensed the true nature of people around you and you could see things like spirits, auras, or other seemingly “out there” phenomena. Because of this, you learned to hide your true nature so you could be accepted by the people around you.

Authentic empaths are often skilled healers, who have the capacity to make people feel safe, seen, heard, and held. This has its pros and cons. Because you feel the energy of others, you can be in exhilarating relationships—but you are also more likely to be taken advantage of. People without pure intentions see your goodness and your ability to heal, so they latch on. Luckily, you can see these red flags—you just have to remember to pay attention.

As long as you take care of yourself, you have the capacity to change the world. Your ability to feel and process deep emotions brings a light and joy to the planet that helps cast out the darkness that can make life miserable—for everyone." What do you think?
    What type of empath are you?

• I am an empath and healer and, before I realized what I was, I found life very hard as I often picked up people's feelings and thought they were my own. This led me to fall for many wrong men. I eventually learned how to distance myself from other people's negativity but I still don;t do well in crowds. The mindset of a crowd is very frightening, even when the mood is peaceful. It can change in an instant.

• @thecaptain
    I believe I might be an empath as well. How does one truly know what to classify? I have always just felt like I have extreme feelings and knowing of certain things.

• The trademark of empaths is that they know where other people are coming from. Some can do this without taking on people’s feelings. However, for better or worse, others can become angst-sucking sponges. This often overrides the sublime capacity to absorb positive emotions and all that is beautiful. If empaths are around peace and love, their bodies assimilate these and flourish. Negativity, though, often feels assaulting, exhausting. Thus, they’re particularly easy marks for emotional vampires, whose fear or rage can ravage empaths. As a subconscious defense, they may gain weight as a buffer. When thin, they’re more vulnerable to negativity, a missing cause of overeating. Plus, an empath’s sensitivity can be overwhelming in romantic relationships; many stay single since they haven’t learned to negotiate their special cohabitation needs with a partner.

When empaths absorb the impact of stressful emotions, it can trigger panic attacks, depression, food, sex and drug binges, and a plethora of physical symptoms that defy traditional medical diagnosis from fatigue to agorophobia. But empathy doesn’t have to make you feel too much all the time. Once you can center yourself and refrain from shouldering civilization’s discontents, empathy can make you freer, igniting your compassion, vitality, and sense of the miraculous.

To determine whether you’re an emotional empath, take the following quiz.

AM I AN EMPATH?

Ask yourself:

Have I been labeled as “too emotional” or overly sensitive?
    If a friend is distraught, do I start feeling it too?
    Are my feelings easily hurt?
    Am I emotionally drained by crowds, require time alone to revive?
    Do my nerves get jarred by noise, smells, or excessive talk?
    Do I prefer taking my own car places so that I can leave when I please?
    Do I overeat to cope with emotional stress?
    Am I afraid of becoming engulfed by intimate relationships?

If you answer “yes” to 1-3 of these questions, you’re at least part empath. Responding “yes” to more than 3 indicates that you’ve found your emotional type.

Recognizing that you’re an empath is the first step in taking charge of your emotions instead of constantly drowning in them. Staying on top of empathy will improve your self-care and relationships.

How An Empath Can Find Find Balance

Practice these strategies to center yourself.

Allow quiet time to emotionally decompress. Get in the habit of taking calming mini-breaks throughout the day. Breathe in some fresh air. Stretch. Take a short walk around the office. These interludes will reduce the excessive stimulation of going non-stop.

Practice guerilla meditation. To counter emotional overload, act fast and meditate for a few minutes. This centers your energy so you don’t take it on from others.

Define and honor your empathic needs. Safeguard your sensitivities. Here’s how.
    If someone asks too much of you, politely tell them “no.” It’s not necessary to explain why. As the saying goes, “No is a complete sentence.”

If your comfort level is three hours max for socializing – even if you adore the people – take your own car or have an alternate transportation plan so you’re not stranded.

If crowds are overwhelming, eat a high-protein meal beforehand (this grounds you) and sit in the far corner of, say, a theatre or party, not dead center.

If you feel nuked by perfume, nicely request that your friends refrain from wearing it around you. If you can’t avoid it, stand near a window or take frequent breaks to catch a breath of fresh air outdoors.

If you overeat to numb negative emotions, practice the guerilla meditation mentioned above, before you’re lured to the refrigerator, a potential vortex of temptation. As an emergency measure, keep a cushion by the fridge so you can be poised to meditate instead of binge.

Carve out private space at home. Then you won’t be stricken by the feeling of too much togetherness.

Article by Judith Orloff

• @TheCaptain , could i be an empath? I dont like large crowds, and i can always determine the other person's point of view, and my feelings are easily hurt. My boyfriend told me i am one of the most positive people he has ever met. Could this be why i have been struggling with finding a job that I feel is a goid fit for me ? I felt stressed today when i got a call when i was at work. My daughter told me my ex wasnt home, but his phone was and he left dinner in the stove. He left no note. It was strange. My store manager told me to go to the house and if he doeant show then to call the police. I was worried about my ex, my boyfriend was and my kids were. He then shows up 2 hrs later. With an excuse that he took his friend to hospital, but it looked like he had a couple beers. When i questioned him about it, he got defensive. I lost a whole day of pay, because he messed up. I feel like hes lying, but i am not sure why. But I feel it in pit of my stomach. I am not sure why. When i left house, after i got my kids taken care of. I felt drained emotionally. Am i just stressed from the situation? Or am i picking up on my kids feelings?

• @tuliplilly, did you take the quiz?

• @TheCaptain I just looked at your post from above, and I read it. I could relate to many of the things listed on it. I didnt see a link to take the quiz.

• This post is deleted!

• @jayann oh darn!! 😞

• The quiz is within my post below - are you an empath?

• This post is deleted!

• @thecaptain i took the quiz, and I answered yes to all questions, except for one. Does that make me an empath?

• Very likely!

• @thecaptain i always had that knack to see the other persons side of things. Like. I always know where someone is coming from. The more i think about it. The more I cam pick up. But i am missing my bond that I have with my twin brother Joe. Ive been focusing my efforts on my sister helping my dog get used to my sister's house. My ex cant take her where they are moving. So Ive been having my sister give me updates of Bella. She is doing wonderfully there. And its making me so happy for Bella and my sister. Cause my sister lost her dog last year to bone cancer. So I can't tell if the joy i am feeling is cause I am happy for Bella and my sister? Or if its joy coming from my sister because Bella makes people happy. She is very intelligent and loving dog. I do miss her, but the joy i feel for them is making me more happy then anything else.