Forty Years Later

• Hi Captain and thank you for telling me how to enter this topic!

In High School my biggest desire was Peter. We were both rather shy and were just friends. Now, 40 years later we reconnected and the chemistry is amazing. He is a Virgo and I am a Scorpio.

I was in a very dead long term relationship when we started emailing each other. He helped give me the strength to get out of this very toxic and psychologically abusive relationship. I am now free to pursue our relationship together. My only concern is I have a 14 year old daughter that has made up her mind not to like him.

Can we make it to our twilight years together. We are both 58 and forever "young"?

• There is a delicate balance to maintain in this relationship. You need your friend's grounding when times get tough for you. His practicality and common sense really gets you through difficult situations. You feel like he is your white knight come to rescue you. But when times are not tough, you may find him a little too dull and earth-bound. He in turn will think you over-react and appear to bring on trouble to yourself. He can also be very critical. You have very different personalities that probably work best if you only contact each other on a periodic basis and not see each other every day as the magic would be lost under the weight of ordinary life. Your daughter is using her instincts in knowing you two would not be good together on a daily live-in basis.