Worried I'm Losing It...

• Hi,

The other day, I was walking down the street. I rarely go to that part of town. There was a guy who looked familiar who came up behind me. He made some silly remark, and I thought he was probably not talking to me. Then, I heard a voice behind me that sounded familiar. I thought "That sounds like ___." I turned around, and didn't see her. To be honest, she is probably the last person on earth I want to see. I'm sure she feels the same about me. The renark is what bothered me. She said "She sent me another email, and some of the stuff didn't make sense." I had a feeling that she may have been talking about an email that I sent. She was being very loud, and I could hear her even as I was halfway down the street. This woman has made some decisions that have had a negative impact on my life. When I told someone about this, they said I was just being paranoid. They told me that it probably wasn't her and even if it was, whatever she said had nothing to do with me. Could anyone do a reading on what really happened? The whole thing has me worried, because I've been under a lot of stress lately. I'm worried I imagined the incident. Thanks!

• It was not her and no one was referring to you. You need to get a hold on this paranoia or it - and no outside person - will ruin your life. Anyway, what does it matter what other people say about you? It shouldn't affect how you feel about yourself. You need to bolster your self-esteem and confidence. .

• Thanks! I'm worried because this is the kind of thing that runs in my family. When someone's not feeling well or is under stress, paranoia surfaces. My dad is like this, my mother has a really bad issue with it, as well. From what I remember, it is best to deal with it through challenging the negative thoughts. So, that's what I'm going to do. It wasn't that bad until more recently. I think there's just too much stress at once.

• Paranoia can be a helpful tool in that it shows us what areas we feel vulnerable in.

• I agree, Captain. But, it can also be scary because it feels like you can't trust your own perceptions of things.

• You just have to become aware of how you are perceiving things. At the moment you are perceiving life through your emotions and fears so that is always unreliable. Mind perception too can be flawed if you over-intellectualize what you experience. The one true perception is your intuition - it is never wrong. Learn how to be calm and still so that you can hear your inner voice.