Reading request

• hello all,

i opened an online photography business 8 months ago. it's hasn't taken off quite the way i wanted it to.. it's not doing horribly and i guess it's fairly normal for a new business not to do well in the first year or so but i'm still anxious. if any of you could look into the future of that in general i'd be very grateful. thanks a lot in advance!

• Cylll, don't expect to make a lot of progress or achieve that much success this year. Hardly anyone does in their first year of business. 2014 for you is a time of hard work and effort and steadily growing your business. Put your shoulder to the grindstone and do whatever it takes to attract customers. It is the time for organization, continued development, and focus. You may feel a bit restricted in some ways this year, but keep in mind that rewards from your applied efforts should lie just ahead. You are being asked to be resourceful and to expand your preconceived limitations. This is a foundation year, so you may actually complete many of the "loose ends" (uncompleted projects) in your life. You will also be creating a solid personal inner foundation, so have faith in yourself. Be practical and realistic and do not waste your time in fearful imaginings. If you put in the hard work that the year requires, you won't go backwards and should even see your profits begin to rise in the last couple of months. Lay the foundation for success this year and it will definitely pay off in the future. 2015 is the year when bigger and better opportunities await you.

• thank you so much captain. it's nice to hear my efforts will not be in vain. i have no problem with working hard and being in a tight spot in terms of money because none of those are foreign to me. it's just that i don't have a lot of support in what i do from those close to me (i feel like they think i'm wasting my time on sth i'll never be really good at) and since i'm starting out and already having doubts it kinda brings me down sometimes.

also this business is just a starting point in my goals in this field and having some sort of success is important for me for the career that i envision for myself. so it's a bit hard to escape the fearful imaginings and not succumb to the self-doubt when i'm so far away from where i want to be.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that can you see me expanding in this field? my birthdate is august 18, 1987 if it helps 🙂 thank you so much!

• I feel there is a problem with putting your business forward or not advertising it enough. Make sure you do as much as you can in this area. You also should see if there are other photography businesses in your area and try to provide a service that they do not, eg. taking pictures of people's pets or glamour photography or whatever. Find a niche that is needed and fill it - then you will expand your business. Don't dream it or fret about it - do it! And don't listen to any negative people - just trust your own convictions.

• i'm doing a bit of advertising actually, and though it's by no means enough, i feel that it helps since people have been showing interest, though 90% of the time it doesn't materialize into actual business. so you might be right about that.

i see what you mean about finding a niche, and i think i have a bit of while to get where i want to be skills-wise. but i'm hopeful about both and going to do my best.

thanks a lot for your insight and help!