DIG DEEP TO NAME PLUTO'S MOON

• Want to name Pluto's two tiniest moons? Then you will need to dig deep into mythology.

Astronomers have announced a contest to name the moons discovered over the past two years.

Three Pluto moons already have names associated with Hades and the underworld. They are Charon, the ferryman of Hades; Nix for the night goddess; and the multi-headed monster Hydra.

The two unnamed moons need similar underworldly references. Right now, they go by the bland titles of P4 and P5. They're no more than 20 miles (32 kms) across.

Online voting will last two weeks. Twelve choices are available at the website Pluto Rocks.

Choices include the hero who slew Hydra, Hercules; and Styx, the river to the underworld.

Write-in suggestions are welcomed.

To vote, go online at www dot plutorocks dot com

Source: yahoo news

• I voted Erebus.

wiki: In Greek literature the name Erebus is also used to refer to a region of the Underworld where the dead had to pass immediately after dying.

• I voted Orpheus and Persephone.

Orpheus: Son of Apollo and the Muse Calliope, Orpheus was a wonderful musician from Thrace who was married to the beautiful Eurydice.

Persephone: Persephone is the daughter of Zeus and Demeter. She was the goddess of springtime and, after her abduction by Hades she became his wife and Queen of the underworld for six months of each year.

I chose these because I found for being moons (light) it would be more fitting to have a "lighter/positive" names.

In the lead today are: Styx and Vulcan 😞

• Vulcan lol!

Can't you just see William Shatner making the case to include it??

• Hahahaha.....now that you mentioned it....honestly he totally slipped my mind...lol

• Thanks for posting Flowsco this was fun

I voted for Hecate & Elyisum meaning mothre & a special place for heros

But I did like vulcan live long & prosper lol

• Elysium, that wasn't on there when I voted yesterday. That'll be my second, I couldn't make up my mind on a second one when I voted.

This funny is on the blog:

Finally, a quick note to those who continue to nominate the names of Disney characters. We get your point. We love Mickey, Minnie and Goofy too. However, these are not valid names for astronomical objects. Sorry.

• That is funny but Disney has its place lol

• Well, voting ends tomorrow.

It's a sure bet one of them will become Vulcan.

Cerberus is next with Styx very close.