The Captain's Blog

• I read something interesting in a health magazine today while I was waiting to get my hair cut. The article suggested that we may not make our best and wisest decisions or be as incisive into other people's natures when we are happy. The idea goes that we are too 'giddy' and complacent to use our analytic ability or discernment when we are feeling good. Of course, it's not good to feel very bad, sad or mad but it is interesting and rather relieving to think that maybe just a little bit of depression can be grounding. There may be something positive about being down after all. 🙂

• Exactly---like the Buhda nature card. Where the best perspective comes from a place of neutral energy--not too much anything. And the Lotus Rose card--I was just on another thread trying to explain that card as it came in the center of someone's layout she did for herself but did not get. The Lotus flower in it's brilliant constant---stays centered---on either side of it a cycle of changing spheres. The changing cycles of earth and all that affects us as humans. All intuition is subject to interpetation so happy glasses will go happy and dark glasses wil go dark. I think it's not so much that we make wrong assumptions about people's character when we are too happy but it invites the wolf at times when we are most vulnerable---the sheep in wolves clothing thing--the wolf is going to hide among the glowing group as he knows they will be more generouse--more giving--easier to cheat. Isn't that why some people choose to be mean and not so giving as it is a defensive choice to keep them safe. It's why most bullies are really cowardly and fearful beneath that mask. I think it does come with the territory being too happy. Interesting subject---you constantly hear that old saying that we block our own happiness because of some hidden fear. Hmmmmmm ---could this be one of those fears? That if we are too happy it comes with a vulnerability that forces us to deal with preditors?

• When you are happy or in love, you tend to be very idealisitc and see everyone and everything as beautiful and wonderful. You think you don't need to listen to your intuition because life is so rosy and safe and 'perfect'. But it pays to retain some healthy objective caution.

• And don't we mainly tend to turn to our intuitions when there is a dangerous or doubtful situation, rather than a happy one? Maybe we should always leave it 'turned on'.

• I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread, but I know that you Captain are the best and the one I need to talk to. I feel so guilty that so many other friends on this thread have really more serious problems than mine but i am sitting here with tears and know that you and my sweet Jesus that I can ask for guidance..Once again thanks for your insight and loving advise. I hope I take it. .

• What's up, Pompanofish?

• I agree it should always be turned on. I think my disscussion was more about how feelings get in the way. You brought up that an article suggested we are more likely to be easily led when happy rather than sad. My thoughts are it goes both ways and the best place is neither too sad or too happy

not that we should avoid happiness but that we should be able in a perfect world be in a place of being able to step outside our emotions and have clarity that is not influenced by emotion. But that is a very enlightened place to be--more nirvana than earthly! I also was talking about an awareness in ourselves to know it is harder to trust ourselves in happiness if that is true---knowing we are more vulnerable and that perhaps on an unconciouse level one can decide they'd rather stay safe than trust themselves---the higher the emotion the more head we need to balance that. Personally, I think keeping my head came with age.. I guess that gets a bit too deep! As you know, it's not for lack of answers and good advice that most still can't hear----you can tell someone a million different ways what they need to hear but people hear what they are willing to act upon. I find that desperation and fear are the worst states of mind for "receiving". Most acts of desperation--for anything outside oneself is hard to point out to anyone---it's a blind spot. Usually, it's a lie and there is something else hiding beneath that need and it's usually not at all about love. I think that is what startles me the most about reading through these posts and realizing how many diferent emotions people confuse with love. As if all strong attractions are about love. That's where a person is stuck when emotion rules and the head does not ask questions it needs to ask.

• Agree. People are not clear about the difference between emotion and intuition. Emotion tends to hear what it wants to hear, not what is necessarily true. We are not clear enough to be receptive to messages from spirit at our emotional worst. Yet times of desperation and fear are sometimes the only times when people are most open to help and advice from 'earthbound' people - advice that they weren't ready to hear before. I have a sister like that - she never listens to anyone until she is in a desperate state with her back to the wall or in a deep deep hole. It's sad to me that she has to get so low before she is open to help but that is how stubborn she is. My family knows that until she gets to that state we are just banging our heads against a brick wall trying to help her out.

• Being trapped in an emotion is sad, and defintly worth trying to work ones way out of by exploring why its there, I had to ask the same questions in different ways at different times sometimes before I would finally see the light about certain people or situations, I was letting the aggravating emotions get in the way of truth. I feel badly for people trapped in what they want to be love, I know sometimes they want the answers to change, want to bieleve if they just stick it out it will all come together, all because of an emotion is telling them its so, when that emotion could be about something that isn't even about really loving that person at all. The first person to answer my question about what I thought was love was Blmoon, and the last person was Captain, and after a little while, and aborbing that information, I was free of that emotion, and glad for it, and I learned not to let feelings like that rush me into being so quick to assume all strong, magnetic attractions should be followed:)

• Today I'm reminded we aren't promised tommorow, so I won't take today for granted. I have heard of the death of a friends child, a child they did not raise themselves, but I know they must be in pain that this child passed from cancer. On the way to the bookstore on a street I drive everyday we drove the through the aftermath of an accident that took the life of the rider of a motorcycle. I pray for their family as well.

• DailyOm:

"Life is the province of learning, and the wisdom we acquire throughout our lives is the reward of existence. As we traverse the winding roads that lead from birth to death, experience is our patient teacher. We exist, bound to human bodies as we are, to evolve, enrolled by the universe in earth school, an informal and individualized academy of living, being, and changing. Life's lessons can take many forms and present us with many challenges. There are scores of mundane lessons that help us learn to navigate with grace, poise, and tolerance in this world. And there are those once-in-a-lifetime lessons that touch us so deeply that they change the course of our lives. The latter can be heartrending, and we may wander through life as unwilling students for a time. But the quality of our lives is based almost entirely on what we derive from our experiences.

Earth school provides us with an education of the heart and the soul, as well as the intellect. The scope of our instruction is dependent on our ability and readiness to accept the lesson laid out before us in the circumstances we face. When we find ourselves blindsided by life, we are free to choose to close our minds or to view the inbuilt lesson in a narrow-minded way. The notion that existence is a never-ending lesson can be dismaying at times. The courses we undertake in earth school can be painful as well as pleasurable, and as taxing as they are eventually rewarding. However, in every situation, relationship, or encounter, a range of lessons can be unearthed. When we choose to consciously take advantage of each of the lessons we are confronted with, we gradually discover that our previous ideas about love, compassion, resilience, grief, fear, trust, and generosity could have been half-formed.

Ultimately, when we acknowledge that growth is an integral part of life and that attending earth school is the responsibility of every individual, the concept of "life as lesson" no longer chafes. We can openly and joyfully look for the blessing buried in the difficulties we face without feeling that we are trapped in a roller-coaster ride of forced learning. Though we cannot always know when we are experiencing a life lesson, the wisdom we accrue will bless us with the keenest hindsight."

• "Don't Give Up"

by Mulberry Studios

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,

When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,

When funds are low and debts are high,

And you want to smile but you have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,

Rest if you must, but don't you quit!

Life is queer with its twists and turns

As every one of us sometimes learns,

And many a failure turns about

When he might have won if he stuck it out.

Don't give up though the pace seems slow -

You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,

The silver tint of the cloud of doubt.

And you can never tell how close you are -

It may be near when it seems so far,

So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,

It's when things seem worst that you must NOT QUIT!

• That's "life is queer". 🙂

• I used to have that poem hung up at the head of my bed so I could read it every morning, indeed I knew it off by heart back then. It still keeps me on my toes now. Though sometimes it is not a bad thing to admit defeat. Another one of life's lessons.

xPad

• I've never heard it before, I needed to read that, thanks Captain:)

• DailyOM:

The idea that we have to suffer or live in poverty in order to be spiritual is an old one and can be found in the belief systems of many philosophies. Most of us carry this idea around subconsciously, and we may be holding ourselves back from financial or emotional well-being, believing that this is what we must do in order to be virtuous, spiritually awake, or feel less guilty for the suffering of others.

While it's true that there can be a spiritual purpose to experiencing a lack of material well-being, it is rarely intended to be a permanent or lifelong experience. What we are meant to find when material or emotional resources are in short supply is that there is more to our lives than the physical realm. Intense relationships and material abundance can distract us from the subtler realm of the spirit, so a time of deficiency can be spiritually awakening. However, once we recognize the realm of spirit, and remember to hold it at the center of our lives, there is no reason to dwell in poverty or emotional isolation. In fact, once our connection to spirit is fully intact, we feel so compelled to share our abundance that lack becomes a thing of the past.

If you find that you are experiencing suffering in some area of your physical life, perhaps your spirit is asking you to look deeper in your search for what you want. For example, if you want money so that you can experience the feeling of security but money keeps eluding you, your spirit may be asking you to understand that security is not to be found through money. Security comes from an unshakable connection to your soul. Once you make that connection, money will probably flow more easily into your life. If relationships elude you, your spirit may be calling you to recognize that the love you seek is not to be found in another person. And yet, ironically, once you find the love, your true love may very well appear. If you feel stuck in suffering to live a spiritual life, try to spend some time writing about it. The root of the problem will appear and it may not be what you expected. Remember, the Universe wants you to be happy.

• Hi Captain Im Back with a very important question to me, hoping you will help. I met this guy Thomas online we have been talking for a few months he is in the UK and i am in US we have not met in person yet but he says he loves me and i have strong feelings for him to and i even wanna move in with him when he travels to me and i feel he is the one for me cause the conversations we have with each other online. Please tell me what you sense from this. Please tell me if he is genuine in liking me and is really a good match for me. And he keeps telling me he will travel to me to be with me and thats what i want but he keeps on saying and saying that he will but has not yet do you see him traveling to me?

• SoSeductiv777, I don't get a good feeling about this guy - I feel he trawls the internet looking for desperate-for-love people and has a way of telling them what they want to hear. He may very well want to visit you - to live off you and be supported by you. I really feel you don't know the real Thomas. Be very very careful.

• Thanks for the insight captain. I understand what you have told me but do you think his feelings for me are real or do you believe he is just saying what i want to hear like you said?

• No I don't believe he feels real love for you, SoSeductive. But you desperately want to believe it. Use your intuition, not your emotions here.