Anyone know about Santeria? Please help..

• Hi not sure if anyone on this forum can help or guide me to where I can get more information on this topic.

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for some time now a while back about 2 months ago he mentioned to me that a friend of his practiced Santeria we had a small falling out and he confided in me that he had went to see this person. I was a bit adamant about it all it just made me feel uneasy. I told him my concern to which he said that it was harmless only praying to saints and asking for answers. I again told him it was not something I wish to practice and asked that it not be brought into our relationship.

The other night we had a small argument I later found out he went to visit this friend again and today while cleaning his bedroom I came across a list which seemed odd. The list had things such as a picture of the both of us, frozen ****, dirty underwear from the both of us just absurd things. I am beyond confused and scared I don't know how to take it. We have a strong, solid relationship or **** life is great we argue but over little things not sure why he would need a list such as this. Can someone please help me understand I want to respect his belief but this makes me so uneasy and scared.

• I am uninformed of this particular religious group, sect or whatever it is supposed to be called, so Googled it. I feel your partner may be being seduced by a group who are not really honouring the beliefs and customs of the Santeria, if the information below is anything to go by.

The list you found seems a bit over the top, and no wonder you feel uneasy and scared.

I can only suggest you see if you can attend a "meeting" of this group and see what the general feel is. But it seems to me that private and personal things are being utilised as part of your partner's initiation which doesn't seem to ring true with the article below.

All you can do at this point is to step back and let him come around on his own. He obviously is a very confused soul if he has to seek out something like this to guide him.

Try not to be too judgmental, while at the same time, he needs to accept your feelings on this. But as said above, maybe attending one meeting of this group could either put your mind at rest, or confirm your fears, which will then leave you with a decision to make about your relationship with this guy.

Keep me posted!

I hope this helps.

(Very little of what I've said above, by the way, is of a psychic nature; just my general thoughts about it. But like you, I don't have a very good feeling about it anyway which IS my intuition at work.)

Cheers!

Moon50

Santeria:

Santeria or La Regla Lucumi is an Afro-Cuban religion originating in West Africa in what is now Nigeria and Benin, hailing from the traditional culture and worldview of the people now known as the Yoruba. The slave trade brought many of these people to the shores of Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Trinidad and Puerto Rico among others. But along with the bodies being brought over for sale into a life of misery, something else was being brought along. Their souls. And their religion.

First of all, Santeria is not a 'primitive' religion. On the contrary, the Yorubas were and are a very civilized people with a rich culture and deep sense of ethics. We believe in one god known as Olorun or Olodumare. Olorun is the source of ash茅, the spiritual energy that makes up the universe, all life and all things material.

Olorun interacts with the world and humankind through emissaries. These emissaries are called orishas. The orishas rule over every force of nature and every aspect of human life. They are approachable and can be counted on to come to the aid of their followers, guiding us to a better life materially as well as spiritually.

Communication between orishas and humankind is accomplished through ritual, prayer, divination and eb贸 or offerings (which includes sacrifice). Song, rhythms, and trance possession are also means with which we interact with the orishas and how we are able to affect our day to day lives so that they we may lead deeper and fuller lives during our stay in this world.

In the New World the orishas and much of the religion was hidden behind a facade of Catholicism with the orishas themselves represented by various saints. The slaveowners would then say "look at how pious this slave is. She spends all of her time worshipping Saint Barbara." Unbeknownst to them, she would actually be praying to Shang贸, the Lord of Lightning, fire and the dance, perhaps even praying for deliverance from that very slaveowner. This is how the religion came to be known as Santeria. The memory of this period of our history is also why many in our religion regard the term Santeria as a perjorative and derogatory.

The traditions of Santeria are fiercely preserved and full knowledge of the rites, songs, and language are prerequisites to any deep involvement in the religion. Initiates must follow a strict regimen and are answerable to Olorun and the orishas for their actions. As a person passes through each initiation in the tradition, this knowledge deepens and their abilities and responsibilities grow accordingly. In fact, during the first year of their initiation into the priesthood, the initiate or Iyaw贸 or 'bride' of the orisha must dress in white for an entire year. The iyawo must not look into a mirror, touch anyone or allow themselves to be touched, and they may not wear makeup, or go out at night for this year.

La Santeria is famous for its 'magic'. This magic is based on a knowledge of the mysteries or orishas and how to interact with them to better our lives and the lives of those who come to us for the aid of the orishas. We live under the premise that this world is a magical one. This knowledge seems 'supernatural' only to those who don't understand it, but it really is quite natural.

Although the people were yanked away from their homes in Africa and enslaved in the New World, the orishas, the religion and its power could never be chained down and the religion survives now. Not as an anachronism, but ever growing even now in such places as France and the Netherlands.

• Thank you so much for the info Moon50!

The more I read about it the more perplexed I become. I don't think he is on his path or going to be initiated as an Orisha, I believe he is just seeking guidance from his friend who is an Orisha. Just now I got off the phone with him and he mentioned having dinner tonight with this friend. I can respect his belief as long as it is not harming to others, but do not like the fact that very personal belongings are being "sacrificed". I know he mentioned once that his friend was going to help him with stamina and wonder if this has something to do with that and maybe he is just embarrassed to tell me.I plan to have a very casual conversation with him about it maybe tell him I found the list. I know it s definitely something we need to talk about.

I will keep you posted thank you Moon50!

• It all could very well be innocent, but like you, I feel a bit concerned about the list of personal items ... still, it could be part of a spell for stamina!? I don't know, but if your partner is being a bit covert about all this, I'd be concerned if it were me. See how it pans out though; it could be a storm in a teacup 馃檪

• Thanks Moon50

I am convinced that he went through with whatever the list was intended for. I noticed one of our pictures missing from his bedroom, he bought me a drink he insisted I drink even though I kept telling him I wasn't thirsty and asked like 20 times for me to throw out his trash like he was adamant about me doing it, something he's never cared about before. Then to top it off he had washed a couple of my clothes I left at his place all but my underwear which he said he did not know what may have happened to them.

I casualy told him his friend makes me uneasy and that I really hope I can trust that he respect my beliefs enough to not involve me or our relationship in any rituals he may do. He swore that he wouldn't and his visit to his friend was just to pray for an upcoming surgery he's having. I plan to see a psychic or get my cards read just to see if any harm is being done to me. I am just really scared and saddened by all this. I love him a lot but I'm not okay with the way I'm feeling I would just hate for everything to end over all this. I guess if he is doing any rituals it's backfiring because it's making me want to leave not stay. Do you think a psychic would be able to tell me if any spells or rituals have been done to me. Do you think with prayer I can protect myself? I know that may be a silly question and I shouldn't question my faith but I just don't know what to do besides talk to him or end the relationship.

• I am getting that this man of yours suffers from OCD ... is that right? Like, he has rituals and routines of his own that he can't change for fear of his world fallin apart. Either that, or this new "cult" he's joined has affected him in such a way that he's obsessing about it.

By all means, go to a psychic and take something of HIS that he won't miss. A little bit of psychometry won't hurt here because the reader will get a real feel for what's going on in your man's secret life if he/she can touch something of his.

The underwear thing worries me, truth be told! It's an invasion of your most private things and he hasn't asked your permission to do it.

With prayer you can protect yourself, but going to a psychic could also help as he/she can perform (or recommend) further protection rituals which should keep you unaffected.

I can understand you being saddened by this; it's like it's almost come out of the blue and this man you thought you knew has turned into an obsessive, secretive person who is leading almost a double life.

Again though, I'd see how it pans out, and in the meantime, take steps to protect yourself by all means. I get the strong sense he is being "led" and has lost some of his sense of reason. Did he have some major thing that happened to him recently, or has it been the surgery he is facing? Often when something major comes up in life that could have a negative effect, a person gets a bit off-kilter and acts differently than they usually do; like a sort of stress response.

I don't know if this helps you any, but hope it does!

Keep me posted

Cheers

Moon50

• Moon50,

Yes he can be a bit OCD I think was has driven him to seek his friends help is our relationship. We love eachother a lot and know we want to start a life together but somehow we always argue about little things. The arguing is ugly because we both are stubborn and don't meet half way it scares both of us because we know it's tarnishing to our relationship. I think out of frustration he seekes his friends help. The first time I became aware was our first big argument he told me he was so distraught he visited his friend for a "cleaning".

At the same time the friend did a ritual to help his stamina he has a very high sex drive and we have a very healthy sex life but one or two times he has had issues if you know what I mean. I guess it bothered him so much (add the OCD in there) that he did a ritual for it. We went on vacation a month ago and it happend again not to get personal but we have sex almost every day so to me it's not a big deal at all. I'm not sure if the same happened this time, we argued, he went to get guidance and at the same time did a ritual for his stamina. Either way it is a big invasion of my privacy as well as trust. I hate that I now have to be so guarded with the person I trusted most.

Moon50 thank you for your time are you a psychic? I reached out on the psychic board hoping someone can help if you are I hope I didn't offend you as i did not know. I am grateful for your time and response you have helped put me at ease. Thanks again!

• ARIALEE,

I FEEL TERRRIBLE, I HONESTLY THOUGHT THAT BIMOON WAS ANOTHER PERSON THAT COULD HELP YOU, I SINCERELY APOLIZE TO YOU, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART I FEEL HAPPY FOR YOU THAT MOON IS TAKING INTEREST IN YOUR PROBLEM, I PRAY THAT EVERYTHING TURNS OUT GREAT FOR YOU AND THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN GODS CARE,

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS,

RAMONITA

• Awwww Ramonita very sweet of you! I'm not going to lie, I was a little shocked at her response I've seen her help so many people I genuinely was hoping she could do the same for me.

Don't feel terrible you and many others have helped me so much on here, you were only trying to help, never apologize for your good intentions Ramonita! I appreciate all the help I really do I'm going to figure it all out, let things unfold and just keep praying. I'll be fine thanks again ladies from the bottom of my little heart. 馃檪

• ARIALEE,

I WILL CONTINUE PRAYING THAT EVERYTHING TURNS OUT GREAT FOR YOU AND THAT GOD SHEDS A MILLION BLESSINGS ON YOU,

GOD BLESS U

RAMONITA

• Try not to worry about Blmoon's response Aria; I get a sense that this thread literally slapped her in the face and shocked her socks off! And I'll be honest here too; if it were me in your situation, I'd be very tempted to run like hell, as any religion taken even marginally out of context and turned into a "cult" type thing should be avoided.

I hope your man realises what he could be getting himself into. And I'll repeat what I said before: he has no right to take your personal items without your permission for ANY reason.

I'm with Ramonita in wishing you a million blessings!

• Aria,

I read this thread and just wanted to tell you my experience with Santeria. We used to own a salon in south texas and one of our hairdressers was married to a cuban man who practiced Santeria. He had a little room in the back of his house and would do healing prayers, and special prayers that he would coordinate with his "padrino" from Cuba. I don't know too much about this other than it is a religion and there are alot of others that use Santeria as a guise to do something bad. When you own a small salon in a small close knit community there are always other salons close by in the neighborhood that will try to take your clients. So, he insisted on all the hairdressers get blessings from him. Some went some didnt. Most of his work was for "good" helping people get jobs and things of that nature. He would give list of things needed like 5 new pennies and through them at a crossroads at midnight .... things like that. Now brujeria on the other hand is black magic. I know a girl that was sleeping with someone else's boyfriend and she stole a pair of his underwear and light a special candle and added some other items to it and would do some ritual, the guy found it and left her right away, so that didnt work for her... i have heard that certain bodily fluids and a pair of underwear are done in a ritual to keep that person from straying. Honestly, I have not heard of anything really working for any of these people. So, I would think that you would be ok but you should really think hard about trust issues. Could it be that he is insecure about his disfunction and doesnt want to see a doctor since its only occasional? If that is the issue you should talk about it and face it head on. Good Luck, it seems that you are going through some trying times and Moon50 is giving you some good advice. She has been helpful to me. So good luck!

Hi Moon 50!

• Hi there! Aria sure is going through a testing time. I'm just a bit baboozled at Blmoon's response; it actually knocked MY socks off! But then, things of this nature can be awfully confronting for some I guess ...

• living a dream,

thank you for sharing what you know about santeria, my roots are from puerto rico, and i am aware that it is a common practice among cubans to practice santeria, in puerto rico live many cubans after thier exile from cuba, me personally just the thought of it makes me shiver,

moon50,

i tend to agree with you, on what bimoons reaction was, and her words to run i believe she meant those words to arialee, to run for her safety and peace of mind,

again i say to you arialee,

may god bless you a million times,

will remain praying for you,

ramonita

• Ramonita, thanks i jsut wish i knew more or be more helpful.

Blmoon response was not visible to me. It must have been deleted, I have always found her to be helpful and positive, but not sure what was said and the topic is a little scary. Hopefully Aria gets through this time in her life.

• lLIVING ON A DREAM,

ARIALEE WROTE A SEPERATE POST TO BIMOON, IT SAYS BIMOON PLEASE HELP,

IF YOU CLICK UNDER ARIALEE NAME THE POST WILL APPEAR,, IT SEEMS LIKE IT SHOCK BIMOON, THE TOPIC IS QUITE COMPLICATED FOR THOSE THAT PRACTICE IT IS MORE COMMON KNOWLEDGE TO THEM, I WISH ARIALEE THE SAME THING AND I WILL KEEP HER IN MY PRAYERS,

GOD BLESS YOU,

RAMONITA

• Hi guys!

Just came back to again say thanks and to update a little, I'm sorry if I left abruptly, yes Blmoons response was shocking but to each their own I am no one to judge her or her response she is entitled. I know it's a touchy subject so I understand her reaction. I needed to reflect a little and think things through without letting my fear get in the way I do in fact love this guy and had to think rationally.

While in his car I found the picture of us he used and that was my way to confront the situation he came clean and told me he had started a ritual to bring peace into our relationship. I was feeling scared, sad and confused things that I know are not good and maybe to prove a point that his rituals don't work I broke up with him. I know he meant no harm to me I truly believe that, but trust is huge and he crossed a barrier by even starting a ritual. I agree with Livingadream after reading and talking to others I do believe this religion is used more to help people than anything but again trust was broken. It's crazy how fast everything happened and changed I love him deeply but I can't go up against these rituals I feel like its a battle I will never win or understand. For now I'm heartbroken and even more sad than before but know in my heart that I could not be with someone and be in fear of what was being done to me.

Thanks again to everyone who did not run lol but instead tried to understand and shed some light and help me out. So nice to knw there is a forum like this where people can open up and ask questions others would never understand. I know for me this was the case I would never have been able to speak to my friends about this so again thanks for the prayer, the comments and well wishes they made all the difference!

Aria~

• Good to hear Aria! Although sad that you felt you had to end your relationship over it. But you're right: he crossed boundaries and is now paying the price for doing that. I can see a reconcilation here, but it will take some time as your trust has been betrayed, even though he had good intentions. I feel he'll come up against a "roadblock" with this particular practice of Santeria and will realise how far it has led him astray. As I said in a previous post, any religion or faith taking even slightly out of context can cause such damage. The Middle Eastern interpretation of the Christian faith - we know it as the Koran - is a case in point.

I still feel you need to seek some sort of protection here, as your friend may be trying even harder to get you back, so to speak. Stand firm, move on and I think you will see that he'll finally realise his mistake and leave this "version" of Santeria behind forever. It will then be up to you as to whether you love him enough to take him back and forgive and forget his transgression 馃檪

Good luck and thanks for posting this update!

Cheers

Moon50

• Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your break up. But sometimes people get "lost" in those sort of things and it can cause more harm than good. I agree with Moon50 - some protection might be in order for you right now, as he may get more determined to get you back. I will keep you in my prayers as I know this is a trying time for you. Many blessings going out to you at this time. And I agree it is nice to know that there is a place like this where you can share and talk to others about things such as this that people around you may not understand.

• ARIALEE,

I WILL CONTINUE PRAYING FOR YOU, YOU HAVE BEEN ON MY MIND, I AM TRULY GLAD U GAVE US A UPDATE,

JUST HANG IN THERE, FOR U SOUND AS YOU ARE YOUNG AND STRONG, AND A PERSON OF FIRM CONVICTIONS, MOON SAYS THAT IN THE END EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT GOOD, I WISH YOU THE VERY BEST ALWAYS,

GOD BLESS YOU A MILLION TIMES,

RAMONITA