What is my life's purpose

• It seems lately that I feel like I am not doing what I should be doing. What do I do to find out what is it that I should actually be doing with my life. So many people around me lately have received devasting life changing news and it has made me re evaluate my situation but I feel lost. I know that life is short and we only live once I want to make it all that it should be! Anyone able to help guide me in the right direction? Thanks in advance and many blessing to everyone!

• Livingadream,

To know what you want to do in life is to feel it deep inside of you. What do you like to do, what makes you happy inside. I feel art or the arts around you in some way, like stage, singing, are you involved in the arts? I also feel children around you, as if though you would like to teach them art or singing. You can also go the umemployment office and take tests to access in what areas you would excell in.

Shuabby

• Are you talking about career, what you have come here to learn, or how you can help other people?

• Shuabby,

I feel that I do not have a talent or a passion. I do have children and I love to spend time with them but I can not see myself spending time with alot of children as I do not have patience. Although my children are ver artistic and spend alot of time drawing and creating videos - so that is probably what you are feeling about the arts.

Captain,

I have a career that at one time was great and exciting to me, but things have changed - the people have changed, the atmosphere has changed. I deep down love my job but days i feel that i cant make it through another day, but i do not want someone else to "rule" my world. I love to read, to do research (legal) i love to solve a mystery. But do not have much of an opportunity to do any of those things. I like anything paranormal and spiritual. I spend a lot of time helping others around me and still feel no sense of accomplishment.

Shuabby, As I am writing this answer i just realized what you see as the arts! I love to dance as I was part of a dance team in high school and college. My daughter is now interested in that and I have also been trying to get back in shape to be able to do something along those lines, although I am too old for any dance teams or groups but have wanted to get back into that sort of thing!! I miss that!!

Thanks for your answers.

• And I welcome any more insights that you may have now that I have elaborated on the situation.

Thanks again

• LAD, sometimes a person's actual life or work history turns out to be completely at odds with their life purpose. It doesn't match. This clearly points out that the "right" person has been living the "wrong" life or working in the "wrong" field... living a life that doesn't match. If by chance your life purpose and your actual history don't really match, then, using your life purpose as the starting point, you might want to start planning a new, more fitting and rewarding life ... career ... or both.

Sit yourself down with a pad and paper and try this exercise to help uncover your life purpose. There are no right answers, just YOUR answers. And you don't have to post them in this forum unless you want to -

Step #1: Motivation

First, think of the 10 -12 activities you like to do most (food and sex do not count, unless you are truly destined to be in the food or sex industry). Next, determine what actions are required to do your favorite activities. Think in terms of "action verbs"; action verbs are words like: create, nurture, restore, catagorize, communicate, etc. Then, narrow it down to the top 3 choices.

Step #2: Principles

Next, think of the ideals that you, personally, believe in most strongly...what you stand for. Come up with as many as you can think of (10 -12 if possible). Then choose the single most important principle to you; your guiding principle.

Step #3: Target

Your life purpose also involves being of service. Being of service to others. Being of service to others in the real world. Think about other people in society whom you care about strongly and would like to see helped, i.e. what groups or types of people or organizations would you most like to serve or see helped? Think of as many as come to mind (10 - 12 again if possible). Then you choose the single most important one to you, the one that you feel the strongest about. This is your target.

Step #4: Rewards

What sort of reward do you want to receive for achieving your life purpose? Because realistically no one does anything unless they are getting something out of it. Would you like to receive in return for your services - money, praise, love, happiness, appreciation, popularity, elevation of status, recognition, fame, a sense of achievement or satisfaction, a sense of being useful or worthy, relieving your guilt, meeting new people and making new friends, leaving a legacy...or something else? Write down all the things that you would like to 'earn' from fulfilling your life purpose.

Step #5: Your place

Who are you? Where do you fit in? What social, career, religious/spiritual or intellectual groups of people do you feel most comfortable with? Family, friends, strangers, celebrities, the rich, the poor, the middle-class, authority figures, leaders, healers...? What is your true niche in life? Who do you thikn you are - a thinker, a helper, a lover, a fighter, a mediator, a peacemaker, a builder, a visionary, a rebel, a leader, a supporter, etc?

Step #6: Your abilities

What are you naturally good at? You can ask other people if you are not sure. (Skills, talents, gifts, passions, and values). How could you use these resources to serve, to help, to contribute? ( to people, beings, causes, organization, environment, planet, etc.) What do people typically ask you for help in? If you had to teach something, what would you teach?

Step #7: Regrets

When you get to the end of your life, what would you regret not fully doing, being, or having in your life?

Now, do these clues bring you any closer to understanding your life purpose? A good clue is whether any of these answers brought you close to tears or wrenched at your gut - it means they meant something very deep to you. So you may have started this search for life purpose with reason and logic but it will be emotion that really points the way. If nothing jumped out at you, it means you are only writing what you have been told or think you should answer. If so, toss away that page and start again, this time answering what you LAD want to do, not what you think others need you to do.

Your emotional and rational intelligences will each phrase your purpose differently, but you may see that it’s essentially the same. But most of the time that won’t be the case, and the answers will be different, which means your 'context' is incongruent. You rationally think about reality in one way but you feel it in another way. For example, perhaps you hold religious beliefs but only follow them sporadically - they aren’t integrated across your entire life. You may feel in your heart that your beliefs are true, but you don’t think them in your head. In this case you have to identify the disparity, figure out where it comes from, and work it through until you can get both sides to agree or you can get clear on which one is correct. Use your consciousness to listen to the emotional side and the rational side, and be like a negotiator between them.

For another example, if emotionally you feel that your purpose is to be some kind of artist or musician, but rationally you work out that you should be serving people in need, then you have to work through this disconnect by taking a look at what your 'context' says about it. Your context is your collection of beliefs about reality. When you experience a conflict like this, it will typically lead you to a hole in your context, a fuzzy area that you haven’t yet clarified. In this case you might see that you have mixed feelings as to the overall value of art and music. You partly see them as serving people, and you partly see them as a relative waste of time compared to other pursuits. You’ll have to decide which is the most accurate, empowering viewpoint.

Hope this helps! Good luck...:)

• Wow, Captain that is certainly something that I am going to do. I will do this during my vacation time this coming week! I am excited at the thought that finally I will be on my way to figuring it out! Thanks again and I will keep you posted!!!