What does this card mean?

• my boyfriend is going away to trucking school this week. he will be gone for about a month. I aked the tarot cards, "How does he feel about being away from me for a month?" i got 4 of cups. what does that mean?

• The Four of Cups often appears when someone is bored or dissatisfied with the status quo. Your BF may be feeling disengaged, apathetic, or unmotivated. Life has become stale or ‘flat’ and there is little that excites him anymore. To overcome this, the Four of Cups suggests a need for him to re-evaluate his situation and to look deep within his own psyche to find understanding and meaning, to turn his attention inward to find the Truth for which he is searching. Avoiding distractions and examining his heart and mind will lead him to clarity.

Similarly, the Four of Cups signifies disappointment in someone or in a situation. Your BF may be growing tired of the same old struggle that has been carried on too long in the past. As a result, he has started to withdraw and go within himself to seek greater peace and tranquillity. If he has been particularly ‘pouty’ or sulky about his predicament, the Four of Cups is then a call to action; it is time for him to wake up, be alert and to be open to new experiences that offer a more positive outcome.

The Four of Cups can sometimes point to defensiveness. Your BF may choose to ignore the 'offer' before him. Possibly he has been hurt emotionally before, as this is the Suit of Cups, and he is fearful to expose himself to that again - hence he is closing himself off to this opportunity. He should consider what opportunities he is ignoring or declining, and ask himself whether this is because he truly believes he would not benefit from it, or whether this is because he is fearful of what may follow. He should be mindful of any defensiveness in his responses and reactions.

At its worst, the Four of Cups is a stubborn, ungrateful and self-absorbed card. Whether your BF is off in his own little world, depressed, selfish, afraid to reach out or is nursing wounds from a bad relationship, the isolation in his world is self-imposed. He may be only concerned with his own troubles and problems, neglecting the needs of others. He must be mindful that his detachment from being part of the world is becoming an issue. There is always an opportunity for him to reconnect with the world around him.

Often, the Four of Cups indicates that an offer has been presented to your BF but he is holding off making any sort of decision or evaluation of that opportunity until he has had more time for reflection and consideration. He has not accepted the offer being presented to him, yet he has not completely rejected it either. The offer will continue to be there and the decision to accept or reject it can be made at any point. For now, though, it is the time for contemplation, research and meditation. When all of the answers are in, and it feels right emotionally, then he can take action but in the short-term, he does not need to make an immediate choice.

Interpretation from the Biddy Tarot.

It sounds like your BF is going to do a lot of re-evaluating of his life and relationships while he is away.

• thank you, that was very helpful. he hasnt left yet. he leaves on sat. its so strange to have that card as the answer to "how will he feel about being away from me?" does that mean he wont miss me? that he feels indifferent about leaving?

• No it just means he has a lot of thinking to do.