Gathering Magicians!

• Hello there! Let me begin by acknowledging that this is a strange request.

As an art student, I've been given the task to create a self-portrait out of found objects or manufactured goods. I've always felt a special affinity for The Magician card in the Tarot as something to strive for: willpower and self-mastery; so what I would like to do is create a massive collage of as many copies of as many different variations on The Magician as I possibly can. However, every retail outlet I've gotten in touch with--whether a new age bookstore, a psychic, or a Barnes & Noble--has no clue how I would go about acquiring the cards I need without purchasing the entire deck. So please, if anyone out there would be willing to help me out in this regard, I would be eternally grateful!

Thank you!

• Hi,

Interesting project. Yet what popped up in my mind is if it's this difficult to actually get the cards how about making a digital blueprint and then finding another way to make it tangible.

Perhaps if you go about it this way then you can make some kind of agreement with the manifacturers about copyright, credits etc. and still get what you need.

Also find other outlets/sites to make your quest known.

Good luck.

• That's a very interesting project. I was going to suggest printing them out yourself with cardstock paper (or better paper) then laminating them, but if you want authentic card, try going to eBay or Amazon. You may have to buy the entire decks, but they'll be much cheaper there.

Good luck, and when you finish, come back and show us your masterpiece!