Help from the Captain, please!

• Hi Captain!

First of all, Happy New Year to you! I need a little clarification/guidance, and hope you can bring some of your insight into my situation:

It seems that the past year or so has been rife with disappointments for both me and my husband-I lost my job this past June and couldn't manage to get a position for the fall (I'm a teacher), my husband is miserable where he is working and desperately needs a change (which puts pressure on him since he's now the main breadwinner), our quest for having children has ended up in multiple failures, despite the best treatment. We've even contemplated trying to find work in another state and relocating because maybe we need a change, but I feel that moving to another state won't necessarily make us happier. I feel like maybe all this happened for a reason, and in some ways it's made our marriage stronger, but it's hard to trust my own instincts sometimes, or to be optimistic when it constantly feels like the other shoe's about to drop.

So, my question is: will things get better for us this year, or are we just plagued with bad luck? I feel as if the tide WILL start to turn this year (I just found out that I have a job interview-the first in almost 7 months!), but I don't want to have any hopes I might have trampled on by more bad things happening. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!

I'm a Libra (DOB 10/20/72) and my husband is a Virgo (DOB 9/11/71).

Thank you again!

• Boobookitty, I am looking at your numerology and I see that from your birthdate, you are a Master Number 22. The Master Numbers are difficult vibrations to live but, if you meet their challenges, they can also be extraordinarily rewarding. You were born under the most powerful and potentially most successful of all path numbers. It offers you the extremes of life's possibilities: On one hand, you have the potential to be the Master builder, the person capable of perceiving something great in the archetypal world. On the other hand, you can slip into the depths of obscurity, achieving little more than personal support. Your power is delicate. It exists by the virtue of your ideals and vision, which you must use to inspire others to join you in your dream. Only by marshaling collective forces are you able to bring together the necessary elements - people, ideas, resources - that will enable you to realize your goals. Consequently, your goal is one that requires dramatic evolution. By being able to integrate seemingly conflicting characteristics within yourself - your inspiring vision and natural tendency toward practicality, for example - you develop the talent to deal effectively with a great variety of people. This allows you to understand and to unite many differing peoples towards a single goal, melding them to unite the dream with the bottom line. In short, you are the visionary with your feet on the ground. You are good at business and politics. You naturally understand large institutions and have the ability to think and act on an international scale. You are gifted with uncommonly sound common sense. You are able to see the beauty and the potential in a given idea, but also the practical methods that will bring it to fruition. Somehow you understand the limitations of ideas - what will work and what will not. This is an intuitive gift that can evaluate possibilities on the basis of their practicality. You have great ambition, which can be a most difficult master, driving you to accomplish all that you are capable of. You are a steady partner in any relationship. You offer sound advice and consistent emotional support. You do not suffer from flights of fancy, and you naturally resist the emotional heights. You are unconventional in thought and action, but tend to be traditional in appearance. You avoid airs and pretensions. Your challenge is to share your vision, and to allow others to make their personal contributions. That requires flexibility on your part, perhaps your weakest characteristic. You often lack faith in the ability of others. Therefore, you tend to control people and situations and are sometimes tempted to manipulate.

22 also reduces to 4 which is the more 'ordinary' and easier aspect of your birthdate numerology. You can choose to live as either the 22 or 4. The 4 Life Path is practical and down-to-earth, with strong ideas about right and wrong. Your potential for success is particularly good in areas such as banking, accounting, management, organization, building, agriculture, science and the legal fields. You can handle money carefully, and you like the security of a nest egg. Your love for work often leads you into a career early in life. Because of your methodical nature, you can easily become rigid and stuck in convention. You can also be overly cautious when changes are necessary. This can cause you to miss opportunities that present themselves. You must cultivate flexibility in your character.

2012 for you is all about endings and beginnings, a time to cast off old attitudes and habits and let go of things that are no longer valid for you. For example, you may have an urge to "spring clean" both in a literal and a figurative sense. You will let go of friendships, jobs, or even homes that no longer serve your greatest good. The lesson is to do so with grace and gratitude. You are getting ready for the new and cannot be burdened by the old. This is a year of force and change, and a year when decisions will have to be made. This can be an emotional and stressful year and the best way to deal with it is to practice spiritual surrender. 2012 will bring a wide variety of experiences and opportunities. If you have done the work of the year, your last three months should bring a sense of freedom, enjoyment and awakening. You are bringing to a conclusion what you have learned and created, and are now integrating it into your present life. Your creativity is at its peak so you’re likely to have a million ideas floating around in your head. Don’t be impulsive. Take your time. There can be some difficulties this year due to your desire to tackle whatever obstacles are in your way. Your courage and strength may be severely tested several times, which may feel more challenging that you hoped but at the same time you will feel relieved as you sense very strongly that you are on the brink of a positive breakthrough. As it is the end of a nine year epicycle, you will likely feel a tremendous amount of excitement about what is to come but at the same time you may have some fears about letting go. Remember that the more you let go, the more room there is to be filled in your life.

Your husband ironically also has a Master Number birthdate - 11. So it's no wonder your life together is a struggle. Master Numbers are very hard to live up to. Your husband has a potential to be a source and inspiration for people. He possesses an inordinate amount of energy and intuition. There is so much going on in his psyche that he is often misunderstood early, which can make him shy and withdrawn. He has more potential than he knows. He galvanizes every situation he enters. He can inspire people, but without conscious effort. Energy seems to flow through him without his control. This gives him both power, and sometimes emotional turmoil. He is a channel for the information between the higher and the lower, between the realm of the archetype and the relative world. Ideas, thoughts, understanding and insight can come to him without him having to go through rational thought process. There seems to be a bridge, or connection, between his conscious and unconscious realms, that attunes him to a high level of intuition through which even psychic information can flow. All of this amounts to a great capacity for invention. Many inventors, artists, religious leaders, prophets and leading figures in history have had 11 birthdates. Because he is so highly charged, your husband can experience the consequences of a two edged sword. He possesses great abilities, but indulges in much self-reflection and self-criticism. He often feels highly self-conscious. He is aware on some level that he stands out. Even when he tries to blend with his environment, he often feels conspicuous, alien and out of place. He is blessed with a message or a specific role to play in life. But he must develop himself sufficiently to take full advantage of that opportunity. Until that time, his inner development takes precedence over his ability to materialize the great undertaking he was chosen to perform. Consequently, 11's seem to develop slowly, but simply have more to accomplish in their evolution than an average person. Thus, your husband's real success does not usually begin until maturity, between the ages of 35 and 45, when he has progressed further along the path. He may be frustrated, largely because he has extremely high expectations of himself. But these expectations can be unrealistic and can prevent him from accomplishing anything. He can be very impractical, envisioning a skyscraper when only a bungalow is required. He may also suffer from bouts of confusion and a lack of direction. This gives rise to a loss of confidence, and the onset of deep depression. The cause of these emotional problems is his lack of understanding of his own sensitivity and potential. He has strong ambition and a desire to achieve something great. However lack of confidence in his ability to realize this dream may cause him much frustration. He senses the enormous potential he possesses, which requires equally enormous confidence in his ability to materialize his dream. Confidence is the key that unlocks his potential. On a strictly physical level, he must protect his nervous system, which is inordinately vulnerable to stress, because of his acute sensitivity. Depression is the result of long periods of stress that have gone unrelieved. He must seek out peaceful harmonious environments, as well relaxing music, and follow a healthful diet in order to restore balance and peace. He can be extremely tactful and diplomatic, patient and co-operative. He works well with groups and somehow finds a way of creating a harmony among diverse opinions. He has an eye for beauty and a fine sense of balance and rhythm. He has healing capabilities, especially in the fields of massage, acupuncture, counseling, and physical therapy, and these professions are the areas that offer him success and satisfaction. He is also uniquely suited for a career in music, architecture, advertising, agricultural design, fashion, repairing watches and other fine machinery. Politics and the law would allow him to use his considerable talents in negotiation and problem-solving. He is a sensitive and passionate lover - his perceptiveness make him aware of his partner's needs and desires, which he is able to fulfill with magical delicacy. However, when he feels he has been mistreated or rejected, he can react with devastating power, using personal criticisms vindictively. Yet he is a fine companion with a good sense of humor. When he has found his niche in life and has realized his true potential, his rewards will more than compensate for his trials in earlier life.

For your husband, 2012 is about introspection and reflection, a time to analyze his thoughts and actions, and pursue studies of an intellectual or metaphysical nature that interest him. During this year he may want to explore life's deeper truths, either looking into philosophical matters or studying natural sciences. 2012 for your husband represents a time of inner reflection, much like taking a sabbatical. Through reflection and self-awareness, we are apt to take steps to refine our nature. Therefore, this is a wonderful year for him to ask important questions like: "What is my Life Purpose? What do I want my life to be like?" The year can provide understanding of his inner nature, as well as development of intuitive abilities. Solitude is often needed in order to quiet the mind and get in touch with the heart of what really matters. Your husband will find himself better able to solve problems, and come to a greater awareness of his full potential in 2012. He must let things come to him, as this is a year when thoughts and ideas materialize. It is a good year for him to carry out plans that don't require involvement from others, and a year to guard his personal "alone" time, so as to avoid feeling irritable. A year to get "centered", he may find that at times during this year he may feel lonely and left out. The main lesson is to learn to be alone without being lonely. By the end of this year, he will likely be in a position to handle life with greater insight and efficiency.

In your relationship with each other, there is a childlike exuberance that the world is likely to notice - the two of you have a certain capacity for fame. Fortune however may elude you while you are together. Youthful sparkle dominates here and can overcome your respective personality traits which in both cases tend towards the severe. Your relationship does however encourage you both to show initiative - although to realize this drive, you will both have to overcome a desire for overly careful planning. If you can add the insightful commentary and capable management that are common to this matchup to the other traits you share, you can achieve a lot. On the down side, tempers can flare here as well. A third person who occupies the spotlight often figures prominently in this relationship, and can ignite feelings of jealousy and competitiveness. Ideally the two of you will recognize the inner logic of the situation (which may be fated to continue for years) and work out a kind of truce. But one problem here is that you and your husband are usually much better geared to social pursuits and physical activities than to matters of human psychology and emotional understanding. You may have trouble coming to deeper realizations about the dynamics of your relationship, particularly with respect to others. In marriage and relationships, you Boobookitty are looking for a place where you can feel loved, safe, accepted, and where you feel secure enough to be your real self. But your weakness is dependence and your need to be taken care of. Your husband simply wants to be in love: to be adored and share 'centre stage' with someone who returns his passion. But his weakness is his need for other people's approval. Your marriage may generate a lot of attention from others. You both have a high degree of competence, yet the relationship may not endure because you both can be very opinionated, and too attached to your own approach, to work together for very long or even live under the same roof for very many years. You must try to see yourselves as others see you sometimes, and try not to compete with each other for attention. Recognize the importance of diplomacy.

Workwise, once your husband puts his mind to it and gets off one binge or another, the body of work he can produce is enormous. He is a simple person with simple tastes, but he can get so distracted by the shine of what looks like gold, chasing gratification and personal validation in all the wrong places or turning to fiction as an escape from dull reality. He must cool off, sober up, and get back onto the road of hard effort, good health, and a love of the work he does. His dreams of being loved and adored are his undoing, but they have also saved him from slavish, dried-out and boring work and a dull, dead existence at times. He needs to establish a harmonoius equilibrium between the two needs. Healthy detachment from his emotions will make him productive and successful, and help him fulfill his destiny of being a natural leader who has the authority, sensitivity, and creativity to solve any problem. He is the capable inventor, the innovator, and the leader in a creative field such as business or fine arts. Financially he may self-sabotage - out of both desire and fear, or a feast or famine attitude towards money. Having a stable, conservative personal or business partner who is good with finances can help. When he dedicates his creativity towards the common good, making a positive difference in the world, money will come to him naturally and easily. The more energy and service he puts into the world, the more money will come back to him.

You Boobookitty feel the need to make your mark in the world. One of the most stressful situations you can imagine is being stuck in a house, in a role, or chained to a job that you have no real feeling for. Yet it's hard for you to figure out what you want. Do you want a career and a public life or are you looking for a nice home and family? You can't be happy without some sort of career and yet without a stable secure base, you don't function well. You need to find a satisfactory balance between both options. Juggling family with career is in itself a fulltime job, one you must learn to respect. Don't confuse business with personal relationships. And you must conquer your fear of being rejected in your career so that you can sort out where you need to persevere and where you need to stop clinging on. Your strength, persistence, common sense, and fortitude can take you as far as you want to go. You will get satisfaction from using your special talents to support others in service, whether within your family or in teaching, advising, and business enterprises. Your practical organizational and analytical skills can help you excel in mnay other fields. Because you like to know what is expected of you, you are generally attracted to anything practical, with clear limits, boundaries and measures of success. Your approach to work and life involves issues of cooperation. After having your fill of doing what everyone else wanted or expected of you in childhood, you may develop 'maverick' qualities later in life and want to do it 'your way'. Your strong orientation towards security means financial stability is a priority. You will achieve it through high energy and focused work. As long as you approach your goals step-by-step without taking any shortcuts, and remember to enjoy the process, you will prosper.