The benefit of religion to mankind?

• Hi everyone,

It is a challenge for science to explain the irrational. Could it be that the selective advantage of holding religious beliefs is that supernatural beliefs motivate human cooperation better than factual explanations, thus increasing social cooperation, hence leading to greater survival fitness in the struggle for survival?

Thanks & Regards

Hersal Gibs

• What you're saying is true to a large extent. It's been scientifically shown that the so-called "God gene" may just be something evolutionary, because it enables better social interaction. Personally, I am a non-believer, because I discovered at a young age the Problem of Evil, that if there is an all-knowing, all-benevolent, and all-powerful god, I cannot fathom the amount of evil that there is. However, for the benefit of social interaction and support, I still attend a (very open-minded) church, where I simply don't say I'm an atheist. As for the irrational, it is not that I'm not spiritual. I believe that love is very powerful, as is intuition. I selectively share my non-believer view for the very sake of good social interaction, especially being female. However, while the assertion that religion benefits social interaction is mostly true, with church and charity, it is also true that religion has inspired some of the most brutal and bloody wars in the world, yesterday and today. So it works both ways! I still believe it is for the most part beneficial though for day-to-day living. This was a good topic!

• Thanks for sharing your information, Really young age the Problem of Evil, that if there is an all-knowing, all-benevolent, and all-powerful god, church, where I simply don't say I'm an atheist. As for the irrational, it is not that I'm not spiritual. I believe that love is very powerful.

Nice to meet you

Simon neil