Mum's Confused Future

• I'd be grateful for some help with my mother's dilemma. She's about to go to university again, but she's awfully confused about what to major in. She's considering nutrition and veterinary. She loves both, but she's torn trying to choose between them, unsure if they have a good future for her. Which of them is right, not only for her future, but for her heart and soul? If it's neither, what other areas should she consider? Thank you for your time.

• Some of it depends on your mother's age and what she wants to do with her studies - is it just for a hobby or does she actually want to find work in the nutrition or veterinary areas? It may be hard for her to set up in business if she is older. Also does she know how long these courses go for - I imagine many years of study and practice go into the process of becoming a nutritionist or vet.

• She's in her early forties. She's aware of the many years it takes to study these courses, and she's willing to put the energy into it. It's more than a hobby; she plans to pursue her dreams and ultimately fend for herself. The problem is, she's confused between the two. She can't decide which path is for her; she loves both, but she doesn't know which is right for her, as she's never had any formal training in either but has a love for nutrition and animals. If it's possible to get a reading for this, she would appreciate it very much.

• Well, I believe it can take seven or eight years to become a qualified vet, but less than half that time - or more - than half to become a nutritionist, depending on how far your mother wants to take it. She must love animals, but has she asked herself if she could deal with sick and dying pets all the time, ones that have suffered severe abuse or trauma, or even to have to put them down? If she is someone who gets emotionally involved with animals on a deep level, then a job as a vet may be too difficult for her. I have a friend who absolutely loves animals - she worked for a time as a vet nurse but had to leave it because of the emotional strain. She said there is quite a high turnover in the job. Perhaps your mother could volunteer at a shelter or vet practice just to get a feel for the work they do. She might not realize how wrenchingly emotional vet work can get. If that's the case, then nutrition would be the better choice. She can always help or care for animals in her spare time, like running an adoption service or shelter.