Where to start...

• I have never really bothered much with astrology. Occasionally read my hororscopes in magazines etc, got my natal chart done online a couple of years ago, that's it. It made no sense to me whatsoever tho!

Anyway, I have a sudden yearning to learn, and I don't know where to start. It would be easier if there was just one type lol.

I'm a virgo, moon sign is aries, with gemini rising. And I can't seem to fit it to me at all ! I do have some virgo traits but not many. And the rest just isn't "me". So do I try to learn more of this type of astrology or look to a different method ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated !

• Well, your Sun sign is the is your core self, who you are, and how you take action in the world. The Sun is usually thought to represent the conscious ego and its expression, personal power, pride and authority; leadership qualities; and the principles of creativity, spontaneity, health and vitality; the life force. It also involves creative enterprises that are a projection of you, from art and business to having children and parenthood. It indicates how you have fun, from sport and recreation to holidays and social events.

The Moon is said to rule your personality, while the Sun rules your individuality. The Moon sign has an altogether mysterious side, with deeper more hidden aspects. It is your inner self - your subconscious and below-conscious activity that "burbles" away inside you, affecting how you think, how you feel about yourself, what you manifest in your daily life, and influencing how you see the world - your internal emotional state.

The Rising sign is known as the mask of the persona, and the first impression we make on those we meet, how others see you. It's the image facing outward, and might not be how you see yourself at all. It is the front door of the self, but as much a part of the personality as the Sun sign. The Rising sign deals with First House issues like appearance and personality, and can even influence physical characteristics. Its qualities show up immediately, while the full essence of the person's Sun sign only becomes known to others over time.

The Sun and Rising sign harmonize together to form the personality. The Moon sign is the other component of the "Big Three," but its influence is often hidden to others. The Rising and Sun sign blend into an inner and outer layer, with the Moon obscured deep within and behind the shifting clouds of the self. To envision this in an easy and comprehensible image, put the sun sign in the middle, the rising sign on the outside, or around the sun sign, and the moon sign protected by the rising and the sun. Then, however you choose to envision that in your head, you can see the sun sign as the core self, around which the rising and moon work.

This is the answer to why sun signs are different from one another. You hear people say: "I knew three Virgos, and none of them were alike." Of course, the individual charts add the complexity of individuation, but if you want a place to start, just look at the Moon signs and the Rising Signs of those Virgoans. A close look at those would readily show much more distinctiveness and uniqueness and then would help explain the differences between those three Virgos as examples.

There is also a theory that there's a 13th sign, Ophiuchus, and people who think they're Virgos for example may actually be Leos. It's highly controversial and most astrologers and scientists refuse to believe this theory which says that Earth right now is in a totally different spot in relation to the sun and its equatorial alignment than it was 3,000 years ago" or some even say "Because of the moon's gravitational pull on Earth, the alignment of the stars was pushed by about a month." Whether you believe it or not, it's an interesting concept.

There are plenty of astrology sites for you to study on the internet znd books to read, but in the end you have to come to your own conclusions. I particularly recommend any of Gary Goldschneider or Michael Lutin's books.