A question on meditation

• I have been meditating for a very short time, a month at best. But I have seen a great easiness with which I can meditate and give myself up. Also, in the ways it benefits me. I have been following a mix of things I have learnt here and from practicing friends outside of this forum.

What I do is sit cross-legged with my palms on top of each other in my lap. Straight backed, eyes closed I concentrate on my breathing. I let the thoughts flow without attaching any meaning to any all the while being aware of my breathing. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to fall into a deeper zone. I invite healing, thank the Universe for loving me and invite Reiki to the chakras that need help. Invariably, I find energy concentration on my root, sacral and crown chakras, as the case maybe, the three that are my unbalanced areas.

I have found one unique thing happening to me ever since I started. I always find my head tilting to the left and upwards all the time a while after I start the meditation. It is not conscious. When I open my eyes I am generally still looking straight but when my eyes are closed its like all my concentration is on the left side. I haven't been able to find any explanation for this on the net except that it is wrong for the head to tilt any side but it is unconscious for me. Also the upwards tilt at times. This interrupts my concentration as then I am always trying to set my head correct but after a while I find it tilting again.

Also I notice my breathing becomes extremely shallow. It's like I simply cannot take in air after a point into my lungs even if I try. Like suddenly my capacity has shrunk. I have to add that in life generally I do not practice deep breathing and do breath shallow most of the time.

Does my posture or process need to be corrected?

Beyond interrupting the concentration at times, the tilt doesn't bother me and the meditations always end fulfilling.

• Sounds like you're doing what works well for you! I too find my head tilting to the left and slightly above eye level. Any chance that you're an artist/writer or creative person? I've heard that when one is imagining something you're more likely to look slightly up and to the left....but when one is recalling something, you're more likely to look up slightly and to the right. Maybe that has something to do with your head tilt too.

But deep breathing does have a healing and relaxing effect on the body and mind, and I think it is an important aspect of meditation. If you are interested in learning some breathing techniques, following are two different methods that I use. Or do some research to find different methods for different situations - there are a lot of them!

Regular deep breathing - breath in through your nose, let's say for a count of 5, breathe out through your nose for a count of 5, keeping the rhythm flowing with no stops and starts after breaths - slow and steady, really filling your lungs and diaphragm deeply and then emptying them thoroughly.

If you feel anxiety or are unable to let go of something, get into yoga position, breathe in through your nose for a count of 5, and breathe out through your mouth for a count of 8. Again, slow and steady, really filling your lungs and diaphragm deeply then emptying them thoroughly.

Do this until you feel more balanced and calm.

I wish you the very best and great success with your Yoga!

Peace and Light

Emereaux

• I think it's great that not only have you started meditation, you have found success with it. 😃

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong way to meditate. It's all about what's right for you, not what some textbook says.

The reason why I think you feel like your tilting to the left is either because you aren't finding a balance with your left and right brain (because meditation is all about finding an inner balance) or because your right brain takes over when you meditate, making you more creative and possibly more emotional. If someone were to look at you, you would most likely be straight.

Do you think that your breathing becomes shallow because you are more focused on your head tilting than your breathing? Or perhaps there's an internal struggle that you may not even be aware of that is causing your breathing to become short?

• I mean great success with your meditations....for me meditation is part of my Yoga. 🙂

• Thanks for your replies emereaux and CALLTV!

Well, yes I am a writer and poet. But isn't creativity got to do with the right side of the brain? Funnily yesterday I had a rightwards tilt and pressure on the right side around and below my ear. Thanks for your tips on deep breathing, I sure do need to take them up.

What you say about balance is true too, right now my quest is fully upon finding my inner balance. But I do not think my breathing has anything to do with my focus on the tilt. It happens inspite of it. My attention is mostly on the breathing and then suddenly I find I am not able to breathe in after a point. The tilt doesn't really disturb me but the breathing kind of does...guess the deep breathing exercises should help! Thank you for the help friends!

• Same here, emereaux. 😃

Saggigirl, yes creativity is associated with the right brain but your ability to put your creativity into words has more to do with your left brain. That's one of the reasons why I love to write, too - it's a great way to balance the mind. Music does, too.

There are different positions to meditate with. Personally, my favorite is to sit on my knees with by bottom on the back of my calves and my palms facing upwards. Perhaps trying another position could help your breathing. Also, make sure your breath is coming more from your diaphragm than your lungs - you'll get a fuller breath that way.

Hopefully this helps you. I wish you the best of luck!