Saturn's return

• I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on Saturn's return. I know mine is on the horizon and I'm curious about what I should expect.

My date of birth is 15/10/82

• Astrologer Skye Alexander says - "The first Saturn Return marks the end of youth and the beginning of the productive adult years. It is now that you truly become an adult--not at eighteen or twenty-one as commonly thought. You realize your need to define yourself as an individual within society and to demonstrate what you've learned. Ending a phase of life that is familiar and embarking on one that is new and untried is unsettling, even painful. Few people describe Saturn Return as a pleasant period. While undergoing your Saturn Return, you may find yourself turning inward and reflecting on your individual destiny. You examine your true needs and desires and the role you want to play on the world's stage. You may feel lonely and alienated from those around you, while family and friends think you are shutting them out. But this is a necessary period of consolidation, when you must retreat from the distractions of the outer world and focus on yourself at your most fundamental level. The Saturn Return is every individual's search for the Holy Grail.

This transition into adulthood is often accompanied by a sense of urgency, a feeling that you must try to accomplish everything you've ever wanted or planned to do now. Goals start to come sharply into focus. If you have not settled into a definite career, or have been pursuing one that is inappropriate for you, you'll experience a strong push to establish yourself in a more fulfilling occupation. Sometimes this means a complete change. During his first Saturn Return Vincent Van Gogh decided to be a painter rather than a minister. More frequently it means a new direction or specialization within your chosen field. If you have been building steadily toward a goal that's right for you, Saturn Return can be a time of achievement and rewards. Your labors will bear fruit. If you have been pursuing an unsuitable vocation or merely fulfilling someone else's expectations, Saturn can be relentless in prodding you to make adjustments.

Saturn strips away illusions and points out limitations, allowing you to view yourself in a harsh, often unflattering light. At the same time, it endows you with prudence, practicality, and the perseverance to work hard toward achieving your purposes. Consequently, this is a good time to rearrange your career or lay the foundation for a new one. Saturn Return almost always requires some major adjustments in lifestyle, attitudes, and relationships. Anything you have outgrown, or have tolerated but not found satisfying, must end now or be altered to meet your emerging needs. Consciously or unconsciously, you are pruning your life of everything that is not relevant to what you really are as a human being.

Often interpersonal relationships are deeply affected by Saturn Return.Almost everyone who is married or in a relationship will question that commitment. The U.S. Census Bureau lists the peak divorce years as ages twenty-eight to thirty. Some people experience more subtle or private adjustments in their patterns of relating, such as shifts in responsibilities. Many couples decide to become parents, not only altering their relationships but their financial obligations and perhaps their vocations as well. If a relationship is sound, based on mutual respect, honesty, and sharing, it will probably survive the test of Saturn Return and become even stronger. But a relationship begun before the partners knew what they really wanted is likely to fall apart. Relationships that start during this period may have a "fated" or "karmic" quality about them. Saturn doesn't create problems, it merely illuminates them.

Growth is often accompanied by trepidation and turmoil. As the old self is pushed aside to make room for the new, you may feel weak and vulnerable. You want to move ahead, yet are frustrated by a fear of doing so, torn between a compelling urge to throw off everything connected with your past and an equally frantic need to cling to the familiar rather than brave the great unknown. Even if your external world seems to be in order, your internal structure may feel as though it's being assaulted with a battering ram. Nervous conditions, irritability, depression, insomnia, and feelings of insecurity are common. Most people go through some sort of identity crisis. Even though your Saturn Return may be disturbing, ultimately it reveals what you truly want and sweeps away the clutter that may have been impeding your progress. Your Saturn Return is a personal spring cleaning. No matter how difficult it seems to let go of inappropriate people and things, the first Saturn Return is the time to do it. For if lessons are not learned, the problems will come knocking again during your second Saturn Return at about age fifty-eight, when you are more set in your ways. Once the conflict is confronted, the tension usually subsides. You feel stronger and more capable of moving ahead."

Saturn Return is one of the most crucial turning points you ever experience, when you assume the greatest responsibility of all: responsibility for your own life.

• Thank you Captin. Let's hope it isn't too painful! x

• That’s quite the stellium you have there. Transiting Saturn will hit most of your planets. It has already conjunct your Mercury and Moon and is heading towards your Venus, Sun, Saturn return and then Pluto, so you have already been dealing with Saturn issues How did it feel when it hit your Mercury and Moon? It is 6 degrees from your natal Venus right now. Natally, your Sun is conjunct Saturn so it already has a natal effect on you. You also have transiting Uranus opposing natal Mercury & Moon right now which kind of throws it all back up in Saturn’s face… 🙂

• Hey Aqua Bubbles,

For an exact birth chart this is my making:

I have no idea when the conjunction of my mercury and moon happened. But can tell you that I have had an extremely hard time over the past two months, emotionally and financially. When did the Saturn conjunction my Moon and Mercury? When will it be in my Venus, Sun, Saturn and pluto and what is this all likely to result in? What does Saturn being 6 degrees of my natal venus mean? And also the Sun being conjunct Saturn and the Uranus opposing Mercury and moon? I'm very confused! And also at my whit's end. Please help!

Thank you

• Apologies Aquabubbles,

Here is my birth chart:

Sun 21º Libra 33'

Moon 29º Virgo 35'

Mercury 3º Libra 49'

Venus 16º Libra 27'

Mars 17º Sagittarius 43'

Jupiter 14º Scorpio 30'

Saturn 24º Libra 44'

Uranus 2º Sagittarius 24'

Neptune 24º Sagittarius 42'

Pluto 26º Libra 39'

Ascendant 12º Libra 53'

Midheaven 16º Cancer 51'

• Planet Deg Sign Min

Sun 21º Libra 33'

Moon 29º Virgo 35'

Mercury 3º Libra 49'

Venus 16º Libra 27'

Mars 17º Sagittarius 43'

Jupiter 14º Scorpio 30'

Saturn 24º Libra 44'

Uranus 2º Sagittarius 24'

Neptune 24º Sagittarius 42'

Pluto 26º Libra 39'

Ascendant 12º Libra 53'

Midheaven 16º Cancer 51'

• Of course I was using a noon time for your birth so the position of your moon came up in Libra. Now, I see that it’s in Virgo. Now that I look closer, Saturn has been passing back and forth for over a year and I see that it went retrograde at 17 Libra on Jan 26; it’s now at 10 Libra and will go direct again on June 13. Your Venus is at 16 Libra so tSaturn was conjunct in retrograde in Feb/Mar. I know a little of how you feel, it was opposing my natal Venus more or less the same time as yours was conjuncting your Venus and I’ve been feeling it emotionally and financially also. I also have some Pluto transits going on so it sucks even more.

Remember that Saturn is here to teach us lessons; it is the stern father that places limitations and reminds us of our responsibilities. It will make a few passes back and forth through a sign, so when I looked at your chart I saw all those planets in Libra my first thought was Saturn is already teaching you lessons. I just noticed that your ascendant is in Libra too, wow…you must be feeling it! It will be with you for another year or so. Everyone goes through their Saturn returns differently, mine wasn’t that bad but that’s because Pluto was out to get me...lol. Good luck!

• I'm very apprehensive now Aquabubbles. Since many of my planets are in Libra does his mean I'm going to have a pretty rough time over the next year or so?

• No, look at it as an opportunity to learn and grow. You have Sun conjunct Saturn natally which means you already know what Saturn energy feels like. I don't have time to look but it most cases I'm sure it'll only spend a few days and pass. Honestly, there's nothing to be afraid of, it's the coming into the self. Why would you be afraid of that?