Inspirational Lesson for Humanity: No Looting in Japan

• Came across a CNN article today briefly discussing why there is no looting in Japan.

"In the wake of Japan's deadly earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant explosions, we have witnessed the almost indescribable chaos that follows a disaster of this magnitude: loss of life, severe injuries, homelessness, lack of water, food and proper medical care, the physical destruction of towns and cities, and a growing fear of radioactive contamination from power plants that seem beyond anyone's ability to control.

But one heart-wrenching byproduct of disasters like this one has been missing in Japan, and that’s looting and lawlessness."

Furthermore:

"...supermarkets cut their prices in the days following the quake and how vending machine owners were giving out free drinks as 'people work together to survive.'"

Source: Jack Cafferty's blog

I pray that this adherence to moral code, even in times of despair, is a message we can all learn from and pass on to others.

• Dear PisceanHealer

Thanks so much for flagging up this social/cultural phenomenom as 'inspirational'. If half of what has happened to these poor people happened in the UK, heaven only knows what criminal activity (at worst), minor skirmishes (at best), would occur in food and petrol queues? Hats off to their stoicism and generosity of spirit; let's hope the situation soon improves for them. Namaste.

• Greetings PisceanHealer,

I'm currently a student and scholar-practitioner specializing in Disaster, Crisis & Trauma and what I understand thus far to be the case is that cultural and sociohistorical factors will be extremely evident in cases of crises. However whether people are rooted in a perspective in individualism or collectivism, I believe that the worldview response to disaster and crisis is to assist in damage control, meeting needs, displays of comfort and compassion.

In terms of how natives of countries that are affected by natural disasters, I contemplate what their views of marginalization due to socioeconomic impact, a lack of representation and so forth may be before the disaster. Perhaps if people had resources, earned a decent wage, lived comfortably, felt trusted and deemed worthy, etc,. maybe they wouldn't feel the need to commit acts of aggression, e.g. looting & fighting in the aftermath of the disaster. People may steal, even hurt others, because of their lengthy suppressed and/or desperate living conditions that their acts may represent an attitude of "taking back" what should have proportionately shared in the first place...simply a thought.

Yes, I admire the Japanese's people's exhibition of collectivist & spiritual paradigm. I pray for their safety and healing. Thank you for offering this. Blessed Be, Two Owls