Stones, Crystals, Minerals and plain old Rocks_Uses

• There seems to be some desire for crystal/stone meanings/uses. I have done quite a bit of research on the subject and thought I would throw it out here.

I intend to place one crystal, etc. (In alphabetical order) a day, but would take questions as well.

This is a guide I have compiled from many sources (metaphysical as well as mundane) But it is only a guide. There are diferences in chakra uses vs. other types of healing uses vs. magical uses vs. meditative uses, etc. I could get more in depth on a specific stone for a specific purpose if some one wants to know. The most important thing to remember is how you personally resonant/feel about a stone. Sight, touch and even hearing. (I haven't tried tasting or smelling them, maybe I should add that. LOL)

So, if you go to buy a stone somewhere, open up and see/feel what you are drawn to. You can be quite surprized. Not wanting to put a stone down after you pick it up is a very good sign it is right for you. If you find it is too expensive, just hold it for a while in the store, write down the name and put it out to the universe to have one come across your path you can afford. (I was drawn to a huge rose quartz ball at a metaphysical show once. It was on display and not for sale but I found I did not want to release the contact. I never realy felt dranw to pink before but made it a point to find one for myself. It came in handy just recently)

Picking a rock up from the ground you come across can be just as nurishing. What you need, Mother Earth will place in your path and these, for lack of a better word, "Mutstones" can have just the right combination of elements you most need at the time and they are given freely.

So without further ado:

Agates

Gem Lore: Agate has the power to harmonize yin and yang, the positive and negative forces that hold the universe in place. A smoothing and calming stone, agate works slowly but brings great strength.

“Blue Lace” agate balances yin/yang, stabilizes the aura, eliminates negativity and balances physical levels. It activates the throat chakra

“Moss” agate is a multi-shade of green that resembles moss or trees from a distance. It is sometimes found with bands of brown agate and when this occurs it is called mocha stone. Moss agates are considered the most powerful of the agates. It was the agate of warriors. Moss agate is the most powerful of the agates that helps balance emotional energy. It helps the user to let go of anger and bitterness, so the emotions are balanced. When used in jewelry the moss agate is believed to bring the wearer health, friends and riches. Moss agate enhances concentration, persistence, endurance and success in one's endeavors. It is an abundance stone. Moss Agate strengthens in times of stress. It is helpful in relieving sensitivities to weather and pollution. Midwives use it to assist in successful birthing. It is used to speed up recovery, counteract long term illnesses, and cleanse the circulatory and elimination systems Tree (moss) agate

• Alright, waited forever to post one picture got bored and hit refresh.

Here's the pictures for blue lace, moss and tree moss.

• Also, please feel free to add your own knowledge and experience.

• Great thread! I love rocks...love them! I don't know much about the ones that you have posted other than I am incredibly drawn to finding agates when I go to the beach. I don't look for seashells...only agates. I have them all over my house in jars.

I'm going to love this thread. I posted a picture of what sits on my bedside. :0)

• Wow, lots of energy there!

Is that an obsidian pyramid? Beautiful.

• Actually it's an amethyst pyramid. :0) I have lots of obsidian all over my house though. I had this great opportunity years ago. I went camping at a lake that was owned by a indian reservation. The reservation was conducting classes in arrowhead making for younger members and had left tons of obsidian laying around. The manager of the camp park had permission to go get whatever he wanted so he allowed us to go pick what pieces we wanted. I have silver-banded, smoky and green obsidian from that visit.

I have several more pieces sitting on my bedside and more in the drawer underneath it. I was drawn to crystals a long time ago. Now, I love incorporating them into my Reiki healing. When I do self-healings, I will choose a crystal and place it on one of my chakra's for added healing. I have given lots of reiki charged crystals to friends also. :0)

• A whole campsite to pick from, what a fantastic oppurtunity.

And amethyst! Cool...picture just does not do it justice.

• Amazonite

Amazonite a variety of Microcline, is a member of the potassium feldspar group. The coloring is typically deep green to greenish blue. Amazonite is highly sought after by mineral collectors. This semi-opaque blue-green variety of feldspar is named after the Amazon River. Amazonite balances feminine and masculine energy. It promotes kindness and practicality. It is an excellent stone for artists and for men. Pale azure blue amazonite is known as the lucky "Hope Stone". It will be lucky for all your hopes and dreams. Amazonite helps balance the emotions and gives physical stamina.

• Pretty, gotta get some more stones/Crystals, I need them all over my house! Great Idea. I saw a crystal ball, thought of getting one.

• Ibeleive~ Thank you so much. This is awesome. I love the agates. I have so many different types of stones in my yard and I have been putting them in an area of the back yard. I am wanting to make a reading garden in a corner. I have my swing bench made of old trees. I didn't do it. lol I am placing solar lamps back there, planting some Hostas as I know we used to be under water here. I live on a stretch that places me right inbetween the Big and Little Deschutes Rivers. My land slopes down and the area is shaded and very well watered. Anyway I am putting all these different stones along the pathway on either side and around the base of the 2 lamps. I am hoping to find some rock looking speakers to place back there so that may also listen to the MP3 Player. I know there are agates and obsidian and pieces of GEODES *(thats what they are)! Of course TONS of river rock I also have several large pieces of molten lava they are cool. I love the stones but now I must Learn of them. Thanks for starting the process. Lots of Love and Light.

• Ibeleive I have a question i dont know anything about the stones only about when little grandmother said about the crystals quarts and i found some when i was in oklahoma at a rock shop and that is all i know about them and i wear my all the time . But my question is what is mutstone ? I had to go back and read that again is it as you say any stone you come across that gets your attention i have come across some and i would show or give it to my grand son but at the same time feel like it was a special rock at the time .

Now here the last week i have been having thoughts of healing with quarts crystal having several and putting them in water and blessing it then drinking the water . But finding the quarts crystal is a little harder than i figured and what i have seen on line is expensive now the one i got at Oklahoma was a neck less on a leather and about 3/4 in long and it was just 3 dollars . But my thoughts are like a double hand full of the quarts crystal stones .

Do you have any information own that or where you could get quantity ? Tooter

• Spiritseeker,

Sounds fantastic. Please post a picture when you get it together and its blooming. (Of course a winter scene can be quite beautiful as well, I just not in the mood at this time of year)

Delbertc,

You know how a dog of mixed breed is called a "Mut"; that's what I mean by "Mutstone" True breeders would not give them the time of day and yet they make the most wonderful loving companions. Their worth is not measured in their rarity or breeding or outward beauty but by the amount of love, compassion and strength they give to others (inner beauty. Priceless!

When you come across one that you just have to stop pick up and admire, it is a gift of love from Mother Earth. She knows what you need or what someone you can reach needs and places it in your path. My son still loves to give me stones he finds. (He collects for himself as well.) He would be out playing and having fun and WOW, in the middle of that solitary moment, he looked down saw a pretty stone and thought "it would be great to give this to my mommie and make her smile." Like I said, "Priceless"

I'll get back to your 2nd question later. I have in my files a bit about infusions with crystals but I have to look it up.

Blessings

• Well thank you very much that was so nice of a loving understanding of the love of a rock it makes me wonder now if its the rock or the love and i think you covered that very good some say well its just a rock you made me feel good in showing whats really behind that rock and your right its priceless thank you very much Love that .

Aunt Buck i hate to seen so igineriant to the understanding of things but i am ,i did not know what agates were so i looked it up and this is what it said, Agate is a microcrystalline variety of quartz (silica), chiefly chalcedony, characterised by its fineness of grain and brightness of color. Although agates .

So looks like my search has lead me to seek more understanding of it some of the words lead to other words i don't understand so i guess i need to do searching .

I have always liked rocks and the colors has always amazed me and the different kinds, a lot of people like diamonds but to me the colored stones are so pretty .

I got what i think is a piece of meteorite i found one day in our driveway it looks like melted metal but a magnet wont stick to it so i don't know what it is or if meteorites are metal i don't know i just know it has meant a lot to me . Tooter

• Delbertc,

with regards to your second question:

Quantity is not a necessity but there are many sites out there with good prices.

I want to post a quick warning in case anyone gets an idea in their head. The site listed is also an answer to your question.

The following NOTE is from one of the websites I use for quick reference. It is a pretty good site overall, but NOT the only reference I use. “HealingCrystals” under “Crystal Cautions”

“NOTE: Before making any elixir or charging any water, it is a good idea to double check for any possible toxicity that may occur, if using several stones in combination, for elemental reactions between the stones. In fact, it would be best if each stone charges in its own container of water as opposed to putting four or five stones in the same container.

If you have any doubt, simply place the crystal/stone around and outside of the container.”

Now that being said here’s my own warning and disclaimer:

Whether I chose to put something in my body or not is between me and God; same goes for the rest of you.

Research anything you put on or in your body. There is a difference between “raw” stones, “fibrous” stones and “polished” stones. Also; STONES HAVE MINERAL CONTENT!

Example: I just posted some information on Amazonite. It was thought the blue-green color came from trace amounts of copper (listed as TOXIC) well, now more recent studies believe it to be from trace amounts of lead (ALSO TOXIC).

They get their pretty colors from the minerals.

• The 3 C’s

Choosing, clearing and cleaning:

I like to pick out my stones personally. Nothing against buying off the web but I like to touch them. I’ve been known to wait a couple of years to come across the one I want. I have found them at town festivals, spirit shops in town (usually only if you live near a big city or are lucky) I have also come across them at state park gift shops (cheap) as well as many other gift shops attached to museums and such. (think Natural History Museum etc.)

Either way, you want to clear it of any negative energy it may have picked up from the multitude of hands it has gone through. (Imagine the disgruntled mine worker).

There are lots of articles on clearing and cleansing. Some may want to make a whole ritual out of it or just want the basics. So here are some bascics.

You can clear it in your sink by letting the running water wash over it for a few minutes (if you have stream out back and a nice little mesh bag to hold it in you’ve got it made!) You can bury it in earth for a couple of hours or a couple of days outside or a houseplant inside (added benefits if it is a happy healthy herb/healing plant) You can also let it set out in the sun during the day or the moon light over night. (depending on the stone; amethyst will looses its color in direct sunlight and moonstone soaks up the energy of the moon wonderfully.)

The amount of time for clearing is based on how you feel about it. I had a stone I bought from a lovely spiritual store filled with good vibes and stuck it under water for about thirty seconds. I got another from a gift shop that was quite dirty run by a family with all the inherent family arguments which picked it up right after several kids were playing in the bin (infusing it with fun, but ruined when their mother yelled at them to get moving, she wanted to go). It was a moon stone so I went all out and charged/cleansed it every night from New Moon to Full before use.

Don’t forget to clean your stone with soap and water. First if using running water from the tap and afterwards if using any other method mentioned.

Blessings

• Thanks Ibeleive that is a lot of good information man i never thought about any of that especially from the colors i can see where i could be very harmful by mixing, the only one i was thinking about is the quarts crystals the clear ones but i will be sure before i do anything Tooter

• Tooter,

Do check out the site, I did not see any mention of clear quartz ro I would have mentioned it.

There was another article from a different source for the faint of heart or possible toxins.

Place the crystals in an unsealed glass jar and then place the glass jar in a glass bowl of water. (the top of jar above the water.) Leave said bowl in the sun/moon for 12 or 24 hours and the crystals will charge the water without acually touching it. Glass is used because metal or wood would infuse its own properties and plastic just doesn't sound right at all.

The outside thing to me only works well if you know there will not be any animals drinking the water. Don't think about sealing it with plastic wrap (1 because plastic wrap has its own inherent properties and 2 because evaporation can cause the same contamination you were trying to avoid. A sunny window is just as good.

• Ibelieve, awesome thread......I'm sure I'll have much to say about on a day when the doggy and my granddaughter are not making me crazy. What stone calms the child???? LOL

• This is a wonderful Post! I will need to take some pictures of all my stonesand eventualy post that as well. I have many dioffrent stones. Most of them gifts from many wonderfull people that past through my life. My favorites are my large silver/greay Hematite "worry stone" I have lost that thing more times than i can count even thinking i lost it when moveing to a nother town. and yet it kept finding me. and sence i always keep it on my person. I also have Amuthist that was carved in to a bufflo that a Native American friend of myne got on her many travils to Pow wows with her family. I just love any and all stones. I feel that the Semi-Preshious lot are far more beautfull and priceless than any Dimond. I just think they are so plan and boring. I even take a well cut glass crystal any day than a dimond. lol Thank you for this lovely post IBeleave.

Many Blessings! and Love and Light!

StormySkyLioness

• RC i couldn't resist that one, a headstone LOL and you know i am kidding Tooter