The Hanged Man

• Hi , can anyone share some thoughts on the hanged man card specially when it comes out as the main card in a relationship reading?..

• This card represents self-denial, changes in fortune, or perhaps your patience and endurance will be put to the test. It means that when you come face to face with the reality of the situation in which you are in, you find something else which will prove of greater value to you. It may be that you have to sacrifice your previous beliefs or even way of life, but it is a time of renewal and your life will go forward.

Suspension. You need to get in touch with why you feel restricted or stuck. The suspension of progress may occur if learning reaches a plateau. If things are seen from a new perspective, change can occur. You are not being punished unjustly. The Hanged Man is one of the most mysterious cards in the Tarot deck. It is simple, but complex. It attracts, but also disturbs. It contradicts itself in countless ways. The Hanged Man is unsettling because it symbolizes the action of paradox in our lives. A paradox is something that appears contradictory, and yet is true. The Hanged Man presents to us certain truths, but they are hidden in their opposites. The main lesson of the Hanged Man is that we "control" by letting go - we "win" by surrendering. The figure on Card 12 has made the ultimate surrender - to die on the cross of his own travails - yet he shines with the glory of Divine Understanding. He has sacrificed himself, but he emerges the victor.

It's really hard to know for sure when the other cards are not present for interpretation.....

• Wow that is not my understanding of the Hanged Man at all. In my interpretation, it means, you have reached a dead end, and there is no way to go forward. You must turn and create a new path, this comes from the Rider-Waite deck.

• Well the hanged man has several interpretations, dead end/ standstill, can defiantely be one aspect of it, which is why I said it would be better to know the other cards in the reading. Surely it means you have reached a dead end in the way of having to forge a new path, but he also tells us the way to that path is through selfless sacrifice, and surrender.... I think the most important thing to remember about the hanged man, is that he is a willing victim to the process he is enduring, in order to attain a higher goal.

suspension/ dead end/ stand still- whatever term you choose to attach to it... it's still a need for change to move in a different direction... but it is through the self, our own personal sacrifices that we achieve this change when the hanged man shows up...

I have several sources I learned from including the Waite, this is just the meaning I have adopted over the years...

• This post is deleted!

• Hi Gabryska,

The hanged man in a tarot spread usually indicates a situation that is in ' limbo '. Its known as the self- sacrifice card. This often indicates we are holding onto something that isnt always very good for us. That a relationship or situation we are in, needs to be let go of in order to move forward towards something better. Often with this card we are reluctant to do so hence the 'limbo' situation. Its not an easy choice to make but in order to move things forward it is necessary. Hope thats helped,

Love & Light, shimana

• Hum,

My interpretation my be basic But actuate. The realationship was well rooted. The choice didn't have mean two people, just a choice. In this case a path you had to choose all on your own. You choice to end it. WAS IT THE RIGHT CHOICE? Then I was correct. You had to make a choice and it would be the right thing for you to choose. I do not view the Hang Man card with negativity. I've answered many question, read for many people. I am straight forward and my answer will also be the same way, Short and to the root of the issue. No, pun intended. LOL Peace and Unity.

• WOW ...Its very interesting to read how all of us interpret the hanged man ! This reinforces my earlier post about the tarot. We are all individuals and none of the above are 'text book' answers. All of us using our own intuition to interpret the card as we see/feel it. What is right for one is not necessarily right for another. I enjoyed reading the different view points,

L&L, shimana x

• For me, the Hanged man was beautifully illustrated (Ancestral Path Tarot by Julia Caccia-Watts) as an almost fully formed fetus about to be born...."hanging out" in the Mom's belly, "hanging on" by the umbilical cord, waiting for the time that is right to be born. Being pushed out of the womb is a force that comes from "elsewhere", I don't think the fetus controls that (?). This ties the card numerologically to the Empress - 1+2=3 - and is followed by the Death card...where the life in the womb is ended for life outside of the womb.

Sotrmdancer