Lost engagement ring

• I am not the first to lose such a precious item, but I did. I believe I took it off and placed it on the counter top when re-potting a small grassy plant in my 1 bedroom apartment. I hadn't remembered it for a couple of days and when I went back for it, my wedding band was there, but not the engagement ring. My husband isn't upset because it's just a thing, but I am upset because that ring was such a beautiful symbol of our engagement and thus the happiest time of my life. Our apartment is "lived in" with everyday mess and I do a significant amount of travel in my car, switching between several bags when I go and have had some new people within that span of time.

I have been praying to my late father to help me find it, because I have learned my lesson to take better care of the things that are important to me.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight to finding my ring? If not, I still thank you for the time you took to read this 🙂

• No, I think that you're upset and a bit guilty that you forgot about this 'symbol of your engagement' and your wedding ring too. But there are no accidents and you put it out of your mind for a good reason. It was your Higher Self trying to give you a message. Now you just have to figure out what that message is and the ring will turn up. Do you have a subconscious desire to be freer - maybe from responsiblity and duty?

• I do feel terribly guilty and I do have a desire to be free of the situation my husband and I are in together, both as students struggling financially, you can often hear me saying "being an adult is just TOO much right now!", while searching through paper work, and you're right, the bigger picture is that I'm not taking care of my responsibilities (across many facets of my life at the moment) and maybe this was it's was of saying that it will inevitably hurt my relationship with my husband, or that in my laziness and carelessness I will lose what he and I have together. I have come to terms that I may never find this ring and that I have really taken to heart the message about me getting my "stuff" together.

• Well, the message may be that you should do what will make you happy, not what you think you should do. For instance, is you heart really in your studies or would you rather just go out and get a job? Can you lessen the burden of responsibility on you right now?

• I'm moving into my second career in the health care field, and where it's overwhelming, it thrills me to be getting into it and it's been my dream for awhile. The smartest financial choice is for me to go full time and finish asap. Paychecks are nice, but I would never be able to work and go to school without my dream suffering considerably. My husband is finishing his schooling for his second career this May, and will be rejoining the workforce hopefully between June and September, which will take significant strain off of me and us financially. Until then, I believe I have to take it day by day and learn to love the lessons of my responsibilities and burdens because they really won't be going anywhere for awhile I feel.

Thanks for your insight and time Captain, you have given me much to meditate on 🙂

• What was your original plan for supporting yourselves when you both decided to study for other careers?

• I had a job supporting us when he went back to school and his interning positions were traditionally paid ones, but that was 3 years ago when all the economic stuff was hitting the fan. I was a long term full time temp about to be hired, but economy hit the company and I was laid off and struggled to look for work but took whatever came my way for however long or short the job, his future field was suffering so only offered unpaid interning positions. After going over the numbers, it was better for me to stay on unemployment and go back to school because I was so miserable with my current career. Unemployment ran out a couple of months ago, and it was financially smarter to live on a grad plus loan for a handful of months until my husband jumps back in the working world, which at the same time my schedule lightens and I'll also be able to return to the beautiful work of paychecks 🙂 We are interviewing financial advisers now to plan for when he gets out of school. My husband has had his share of school loan debt which he had paid off years ago, and is very responsible with it but I haven't been in loan debt before and it hasn't been very long, but I always grew up paying for things only if I had the money, so it's not unusual that it's uncomfortable for me.

• check the bottoms of your drawers, I see it may have come off while you were fishing around in a drawer, probably in your bedroom

• ChrissyR, you might want to check out my "You and Money" thread.