Love Advice

• I am in a relationship with a man who might soon go abroad for a year. I am confused as to whether or not this relationship is worth the time and effort of a long-distance committment. His decision to go away makes me feel hurt, and I have begun to doubt the long-term potential of this relationship. I would be willing to make it work, but I am no longer sure if he is willing as well. I would appreciate it very much if someone could guide me in this challenge that I seem to be faced with.

Thank you,

Kay

• This post is deleted!

• He is leaving because he got an internship opportunity. He claims it to be one of those 'life experiences'. He says he will go because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. He says he will come back after the year is over. I hope this gives a better context.

Thanks,

Kay

• I can sort of understand both sides of this - if it is a once in a lifetime opportunity then I can understand his desire to go however, you will be thinking that if he was wanting to be with you then he wouldnt go.... Has he mentioned anything about your relationship whilst he is away?

• Nothing conclusive. All he says is that he will miss me and we will talk from time to time. I am not sure if he means it or if it is just something he said for the sake of saying. To be clear, I am not against him going. As a matter of fact, I think he should. It is a great opportunity. I am just unsure if I should spend more of myself emotionally on this relationship because I am not sure of the depth of his feelings or his desire to commit as a partner.